1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential, spherical conductor

1. Aug 28, 2011 #1
    Hello,
    in this diagram, the shaded regions are spherical conductors.
    a1a6777d.png
    What's the potential at A=B?
    Ignoring the outer sphere, it should be kQ/R.
    When you add the outer sphere, potential at C=D=0 and electric field between B and C is kQ/x^2
    so i integrated (kQ/x^2) dx with interval [2R, R] and got -kQ/2r
    Is that right? I think the potential at A=B should be positive though, and the answer says so too :(
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do not forget that the electric field is a vector, and it points outward in this case. When you calculate the potential, you determine ΔU with the line integral -∫Edr. If you go inward E and dr point to opposite directions, the integrand is negative. You do not get confused when integrating from B to C and get U(B) knowing that U(C)=0.

ehild

4. Aug 28, 2011 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The potential is the same at every point of a metal. So U(A)=U(B) and U(C) = U(D). I think you meant the electric field, kQ/r2.
    The potential is not kQ/r when the outer sphere is present, as this would give non-zero potential outside. You need an additive constant: U=kQ/r + C so as it give zero at r=2R.

ehild

5. Aug 28, 2011 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Sorry, I've deleted my post to avoid confusion.
    I was mixing it up with another problem where the spheres were non-conducting.

6. Aug 28, 2011 #5
    Thanks to all of you! :D
    just to be sure, so the potential at B is kQ/R without the outer sphere, and with the outer sphere its kQ/2R, and ehild's additive constant C is -kQ/2R to give U(B) = kQ/R - kQ/2R = kQ/2R?
    Thanks again!

7. Aug 28, 2011 #6

I like Serena

Homework Helper

8. Aug 28, 2011 #7
    Thanks! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook