Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Potential(V) and Electric Potential Energy(U) laws

1. Mar 12, 2012 #1
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if these 4 following statements are correct?

1. V increases as a particle nears a proton

2. V decreases as a particle nears an electron

3. U increases as a particle moves in opposite direction of Electric Field

4. U decreases as a particle moves in same direction of Electric Field

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2012 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The answer to the above depends totally upon the charge on your "particle".
    But the rule is that, if particles are attracted to each other, the Potential Energy decreases as they get closer and vice versa.

4. Mar 12, 2012 #3

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Statements 1 and 2 are true. Voltage is defined with the convention that positive charges are involved. Electrical potential energy multiplies voltage by the charge, so negative charges will have negative electrical potential energy compared to positive charges (assuming an appropriate reference point for U equal to zero).

False - for a positive charge, U becomes more positive. For a negative charge, U becomes more negative (assuming an appropriate reference point for U equal to zero).

False - for a positve charge, U becomes less positive, for a negative charge, U become less negative (assuming an appropriate reference point for U equal to zero).

5. Mar 12, 2012 #4
    I've been studying this concept for weeks, and should have asked you guys! Thank you very much, rcgldr.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook