1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical Energy Storage, Capactor, Battery, Motor

1. Sep 11, 2008 #1
    Here is my problem [the last one of a lot that I already got all right and have to turn in by midnight - so you can sense my frustration, lol.]

A .39microF capacitor is charged by a 1.5 V battery. After being charged, the capacitor is connected to a small electric motor.

a) Assuming 100% efficiency, to what height can the motor lift a 2.2 gram mass?

b) What initial voltage must the capacitor have if it is to lift a 2.2 g through a height of 1 cm?

What I tried doing was finding the stored energy using U = 1/2CV^2. Once I got that I plugged it into u=mgy, because for some reason I thought my 'y' would give me the height. The answers I got were wrong though, and I've been wracking my brain and reading the book trying to figure it out, but I'm at a loss.

Thanks in advance for any help, :):).
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2008 #2
    In principle, your method is correct (conservation of energy).

Calculator error? Units? Answer key is wrong?
  4. Sep 11, 2008 #3
    Yes! Thank you! I totally forgot that Joules had 'kg' in it and not 'g.' I'm so happy now I can sleep in peace, :).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?