Electrical Engineering Electives (Engineering Circuits Course))

In summary, the use of differential equations in Electrical Engineering is primarily focused on linear ODE's with constant coefficients, which are then solved using Laplace transforms in the frequency domain. This method is favored over directly solving differential equations and is considered easier and more efficient.
coolzangetsu
Hi I heard great things about this forum and thought I would post one of my questions here. I am currently a second year Engineering student pursuing a degree in Electrical Engineering. So far I have not taken much engineering electives except for thermodynamics and a programming class. So far I have noticed that most classes that I have taken which require prerequisites such as calculus 1 and 2 for physics 1 and 2. I do not know if it is just my school but we barely used calculus in physics except for some simple integration and to prove some theories. So I was wondering for a class such as engineering circuits I am pretty sure differential equations is used a lot but what exactly from differential equations is used the most in Electrical Engineering like for mechanical engineers they use series more frequently to solve problems.

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
coolzangetsu said:
Hi I heard great things about this forum and thought I would post one of my questions here. I am currently a second year Engineering student pursuing a degree in Electrical Engineering. So far I have not taken much engineering electives except for thermodynamics and a programming class. So far I have noticed that most classes that I have taken which require prerequisites such as calculus 1 and 2 for physics 1 and 2. I do not know if it is just my school but we barely used calculus in physics except for some simple integration and to prove some theories. So I was wondering for a class such as engineering circuits I am pretty sure differential equations is used a lot but what exactly from differential equations is used the most in Electrical Engineering like for mechanical engineers they use series more frequently to solve problems.

Thank You

Probably what you'll do is you start off solving circuits using linear ODE's with constant coefficients, and then you'll use Laplace transforms to remove the need to actually solve DE's, and from there on it will be a ton of algebra with complex numbers (in the Laplace domain). Electrical engineers pretty much always solve circuits in the frequency domain (using Laplace or Fourier transforms) rather than solve differential equations. The ODE method is good to see once, and it's good to know for some things, but once you've done it once you'll mostly solve circuits in the frequency domain (Laplace or Fourier transform). Frequency domain is easier to do and easier to understand in most cases.

1. What is the purpose of taking electrical engineering electives, specifically the engineering circuits course?

The purpose of taking electrical engineering electives, such as the engineering circuits course, is to gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental concepts and principles of electrical engineering. These courses also allow students to specialize in a particular area of electrical engineering and gain practical skills that can be applied in various industries.

2. What are some common topics covered in an engineering circuits course?

Common topics covered in an engineering circuits course include circuit analysis techniques, circuit elements and components, circuit theorems, AC and DC circuits, digital circuits, and circuit design and troubleshooting. Other advanced topics may include power systems, electronic devices, and control systems.

3. Do I need to have a strong mathematical background to excel in this course?

Yes, a strong foundation in mathematics is essential for success in an engineering circuits course. The course involves complex mathematical calculations and the application of various mathematical concepts and principles to solve engineering problems.

4. What type of hands-on experience can I expect from an engineering circuits course?

Many engineering circuits courses include laboratory sessions where students can apply the concepts learned in lectures to real-world electrical circuits. These hands-on experiences allow students to gain practical skills in circuit analysis, design, and troubleshooting.

5. How can I prepare for an engineering circuits course?

To prepare for an engineering circuits course, it is recommended to have a strong understanding of basic electrical concepts, such as Ohm's law, Kirchhoff's laws, and circuit analysis techniques. It is also helpful to have a solid foundation in mathematics, including algebra, trigonometry, and calculus. Familiarizing yourself with electrical engineering software and tools, such as circuit simulation software, can also be beneficial.