1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical Engineering - Energy Graph Question

1. Sep 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Question number 3!, I attached it. Need help!

Figure 1 shows the current through and the voltage across a device. Find the total energy absorbed by the device fore the period 0<t<4.

2. Relevant equations
    integral of p = energy
    P=VI

3. The attempt at a solution
    Just need the algorithm to solving these kinds of problems, I am kind of thrown off at the instantaneous change.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2010 #2
    One way you could think about this problem is by taking discrete intervals on the current graph and voltage graph and multiplying these values together. This will result in a graph that describes the power dissipation in the device over the given time interval. Then it will just be a matter of finding the area under the curve (integrating the resulting power function).

4. Sep 14, 2010 #3
    Yeah I thought about that approach but when I look at the voltage it comepletely throws me off. I am able to break the current into 2 seperate intervals with the function y1=25x and 0<t<2, y2=-25x 2<t<4, but for the voltage at t=2 its constant and I cant come up with a function to multply with my current.

5. Sep 14, 2010 #4
    For the voltage between t=1 and t=3, the function describing the voltage is just a constant, or y=10.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook