Electrical Engineering Circuits

In summary, the conversation is discussing the process of finding equivalent resistance and calculating voltage and current in a circuit using Kirchoff's Voltage/Current Law. The individual is seeking help in understanding the steps taken to get the correct answers for a specific problem. The expert provides a summary of the steps taken, including calculating equivalent resistance and voltage drops across resistors, and points out a small error in the individual's calculations.
Mark Nussbaum

Homework Statement

upload_2017-9-14_18-22-14.png

Homework Equations

V=IR
kirchoff's Voltage/current law

The Attempt at a Solution

Going off the answer i got correct, 65V / 138.1788Ohms (Req of total circuit) for a total current of .47A. I think this is where i messed up but don't know how to continue...

Physics news on Phys.org
Mark Nussbaum said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 211115

Homework Equations

V=IR
kirchoff's Voltage/current law

The Attempt at a Solution

Going off the answer i got correct, 65V / 138.1788Ohms (Req of total circuit) for a total current of .47A. I think this is where i messed up but don't know how to continue...
Can you describe the series & parallel combinations you used to the right of the dashed line to get the equivalent resistance?

You really need to show the steps that you took to get the 4 answers. Otherwise, we have no idea if you're on the right track on not.

berkeman said:
Can you describe the series & parallel combinations you used to the right of the dashed line to get the equivalent resistance?
For Req to the right of the dashed line,
R3+R4=385 Ohms
1/(1/R2+1/385) = 91.4 Ohms
91.4 Ohms + 70 Ohms = 161.4 Ohms

This is in parallel with the 50 Ohms resistor so i combined them with
1/(1/50+1/161.4)=38.17 Ohms
then adding in series with the 100 Ohms a total of 138.17 Ohms.

Using the total resistance I divided the voltage source to find the current,
65V/138.17 Ohms =.47A

After that I calculated the voltage drop across the 100 Ohms resistor V=IR
V=.47 A*100 Ohms= 47 Volts

Since the other resistor is in parallel with the Req on the right side of the dashed line I assumed the same voltage would go to each branch
65-47=18V

After that I calculated the current that went through the 50 Ohm resistor
18V/50 Ohms= .36A
so the remaining would run through the other branch

Once again calculating voltage drop across R1
V=.11 A * 70 Ohms = 7.7 V

and since R2 is in parallel with R3/4 I assumed this voltage would V2

Your calc for Req is correct.

When you put that in parallel with the 50 ohms and get the series resistance, that too is correct. However, I get 0.4704 A.

The drop thru the 100 ohm resistor is 47.04 V (or 47 in your case). This leaves 17.96 V for V2, which is close enough to the 18 V you came up with.

The next step is to continue the calculation based on 17.96 V and the equivalent resistance to the right of V2 (161.485 ohms).

This gives you a current of 0.111 A, leading to a voltage drop across the 70 ohm resistor of 7.79 V. I think this is what you put for V2, when it is really the drop across that resistor. The resulting V2 is 17.96 – 7.79 or 10.17 V.

This will naturally change your value for i4.

1. What is an electrical engineering circuit?

An electrical engineering circuit is a network of electronic components, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors, that are connected together to form a closed loop. This allows for the flow of electric current and the transfer of energy within the circuit.

2. What are the basic components of an electrical engineering circuit?

The basic components of an electrical engineering circuit include voltage sources, resistors, capacitors, inductors, and switches. These components work together to control the flow of electricity and create desired outcomes within the circuit.

3. How do you calculate the total resistance of a circuit?

The total resistance of a circuit can be calculated by adding the individual resistances of each component in series, or by using Ohm's Law (R = V/I) for components in parallel. Additionally, there are various online calculators and software programs that can assist with calculating total resistance.

4. How do you analyze a circuit using Kirchhoff's Laws?

Kirchhoff's Laws are used to analyze the behavior of electrical circuits. The first law, known as Kirchhoff's Current Law, states that the sum of currents entering a node is equal to the sum of currents leaving the node. The second law, known as Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, states that the sum of voltages around a closed loop is equal to zero. By applying these laws, one can solve for unknown currents and voltages in a circuit.

5. What is the difference between AC and DC circuits?

AC (alternating current) circuits have a constantly changing current direction, while DC (direct current) circuits have a constant current flow in one direction. AC circuits are typically used for high-power applications, while DC circuits are commonly used for low-power applications and electronics.