1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical Force and Coulomb's Law

1. Mar 10, 2006 #1
    I have been working on a problem and can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Here goes:

An alpha particle (charge = +2.0e) is sent at high speed toward a gold nucleus (charge = +79e). What is the electrical force acting on the alpha particle when it is 2.0 X 10^-14 m from the gold nucleus?

I figured it would be an easy plug and chug, like this:

F=k (|e|^2 / r^2) which when I looked at it I found I'm confused. the problem said that the charge = +2.0e. Does that mean I multiply 2 * 1.6X10^-19? Then, there are 2 charges. In order to get the correct 'e' do I add them together and multiply by 1.6x10^-19? I understand they are both positive, and so they repel from each other, but the alpha particle is sent at high speed toward the gold nucleus.

I can tell I'm not going to enjoy this chapter...

thank you for your help!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2006 #2
    2e= 2*1.6e-19=3.2e-19 C
    79e=79*1.6e-19=1.264e-17 C
    Just use Coulomb`s law.

4. Mar 10, 2006 #3
    :rolleyes: Thanks. I must be brain fried. I must have tried this 10 times and it wouldn't come out. But after your post it worked just fine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?