Electrical Force and Coulomb's Law

In summary, the problem involves an alpha particle with a charge of +2.0e being sent towards a gold nucleus with a charge of +79e. The question asks for the electrical force acting on the alpha particle when it is 2.0 x 10^-14 m from the gold nucleus. To solve this, Coulomb's law is used with the charges of both particles, resulting in a force of 3.2e-19 C. The poster had some confusion about the charges and how to use them in the equation, but after receiving help, they were able to solve the problem successfully.
Trista
I have been working on a problem and can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Here goes:

An alpha particle (charge = +2.0e) is sent at high speed toward a gold nucleus (charge = +79e). What is the electrical force acting on the alpha particle when it is 2.0 X 10^-14 m from the gold nucleus?

I figured it would be an easy plug and chug, like this:

F=k (|e|^2 / r^2) which when I looked at it I found I'm confused. the problem said that the charge = +2.0e. Does that mean I multiply 2 * 1.6X10^-19? Then, there are 2 charges. In order to get the correct 'e' do I add them together and multiply by 1.6x10^-19? I understand they are both positive, and so they repel from each other, but the alpha particle is sent at high speed toward the gold nucleus.

I can tell I'm not going to enjoy this chapter...

thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
2e= 2*1.6e-19=3.2e-19 C
79e=79*1.6e-19=1.264e-17 C
Just use Coulomb`s law.

:rolleyes: Thanks. I must be brain fried. I must have tried this 10 times and it wouldn't come out. But after your post it worked just fine.

1. What is electrical force?

Electrical force is the force that exists between two charged particles. It can be attractive or repulsive, depending on the charges of the particles.

2. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the relationship between the electrical force, the distance between two charged particles, and the magnitude of their charges.

3. How is electrical force calculated?

Electrical force is calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

4. What is the SI unit of electrical force?

The SI unit of electrical force is the Newton (N). It can also be expressed in terms of Coulombs (C) and meters (m) as N = C^2/m^2.

5. What is the significance of Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is significant because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of charged particles. It also serves as the basis for many important concepts in electromagnetism, such as electric fields and electric potential energy.