Electrical, Mechanical, and Computer Engineering Combination

In summary: EP. They also have a separate department, which is EP only, and they offer a major in EP. It is a very interesting major, and I'm sure it would be an excellent complement to your current interests, but I cannot speak to that specifically.ii. Did you choose choice "1" because separate ME and EE go more in depth on controls?I didn't choose a particular track, I just narrowed it down to three specific areas of interest that I think would make me a good engineer. I do not think that one field is "better" than the other, I just think that those three areas would be the best foundation for me to build off of.iii. Would a CE minor go well
Alma
Hello everyone,

(First, I hope this is the right subsection of PhysicsForum for this type of question. I was unsure if this should go into the ME or EE section)

To start, I am trying narrow down my Engineering Interests down to somewhat specific areas to solidify what majors to pursue in college.

Starting college, I struggled with what I really wanted to do for a career. I always have been interested in drawing, building things from random parts, learning how things work, etc. I really like to create things and coming up with new concepts by drawing them out, and then attempting to build them out of cardboard, gears, plastic, whatever I can get my hands on. I also love computers, have not worked with much programming, but want to get more into it in the near future. I also have a big interest in flying.

Having attempted to narrow my interests, I have realized that I love the mechanic’s behind a machine, the electrical connections behind that mechanical machine, and also have been fascinated in the programming that controls and “tells” the electrical wires connecting to the mechanical parts to say, “lift the arm”. In a nut shell, I am very interested in the concept of robots and the mixture of Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Computer Engineering that would make a robot “function”. I also am very interested in getting something to fly, but I know this might be stretching the Engineering Fields to far for one profession ( and maybe I will just work with people in this field on various projects).

This is where I struggle. Trying to find a good combination of these three fields of EE, ME, and CE. But in any case, maybe specialize in “Robotics for CE” and “Robotics and Control Systems for EE”;I am still in the process of looking around. Or possibly study the topic of Mechatronics, as I believe it deals with these three areas of interest. I thought these to be possible Engineering combinations:

1.Double Major in ME and EE with a minor in Computer Engineering(specializing in Robotics)

or

2.Double Major in Engineering Physics and Computer Engineering

My questions are:
a.From my interests, would either combinations of 1 or 2 be an adequate mix of Engineering fields? I’m open for suggestions.

b.How does Engineering Physics compare to separate EE and ME majors?

c. Is Mechatronics a good combonation of EE, ME, and CE? I am new to the subject, so please elaborate.

d.Anything you may want to add, or if you’re in these types of fields already, just your general input would be appreciated.

Thank you all very much for reading my post. Your thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated.

-Alma

Engineering news on Phys.org
Alma said:
a.From my interests, would either combinations of 1 or 2 be an adequate mix of Engineering fields? I’m open for suggestions.

If you are really interested in controls, your best choice is #1

Alma said:
b.How does Engineering Physics compare to separate EE and ME majors?

With respect to controls:
-Engineering Physics is more space oriented with some some space related controls. (I am not aware of an EP course with a focus on controls-someone correct me if I am wrong). Even if there is one it would most likely be space application oriented, not mechatronic oriented.

-ME will give you an excellent base in the dynamics of mechanical control systems
-Likewise EE will give you the necessary base for electrical control systems

Alma said:
c. Is Mechatronics a good combonation of EE, ME, and CE? I am new to the subject, so please elaborate.

This is exactly what mechatronics is, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechatronics

Thank you for the reply viscousflow,

If I may ask you a few more questions:

i. So would you say there is a disadvantage/advantage to taking EP in comparison to EE or ME separately? I would assume that EP cuts out some EE and ME classes to make it manageable. Just from researching the different fields, I came into the subject of controls, but am still unfamiliar with it.

ii. Did you choose choice "1" because separate ME and EE go more in depth on controls?

iii. Would a CE minor go well with this combonation? And would you think the three fields are manageable and useful together?

Thanks again,

Alma

I'll keep my comparisons to mechatronics since that is what you mentioned in your first post.

Alma said:
i. So would you say there is a disadvantage/advantage to taking EP in comparison to EE or ME separately? I would assume that EP cuts out some EE and ME classes to make it manageable. Just from researching the different fields, I came into the subject of controls, but am still unfamiliar with it.

I cannot say anything all encompassing about EP degrees, however, I will tell you what I know from my experience within my university. They start out with the same basic track as most engineering curriculum (ME, EE, Civil E, AE, etc...) however, they start leaning towards a conventional physics degree however with applications and design. That doesn't leave much room for controls, especially mechatronics.

Alma said:
ii. Did you choose choice "1" because separate ME and EE go more in depth on controls?

ME and EE will go explicitly into the dynamics, design and implementation of controls, mechanical and electronic respectively. Also, if I remember correctly EE degrees can have a mechatronics focus (Maybe I am confusing this with CE). Basically what I am saying is, you'll be experiencing controls more in depth (mechanical and electrical) with these degrees for sure as opposed to a lucky fly by in EP.

Alma said:
iii. Would a CE minor go well with this combonation? And would you think the three fields are manageable and useful together?

I think if you did those three, you would then have a near perfect tri-fecta to tackle anything in controls you would ever want to be involved with.

Hopefully someone else on the board can share more insight into this as I am mainly aircraft controls oriented as opposed to mechatronics.

Hello Alma,

It's great to hear that you have a passion for creating and building things, and that you are considering a career in engineering. Your interests in mechanical, electrical, and computer engineering are all very relevant and important fields in today's technology-driven world.

In terms of combining these engineering fields, there are a few options you could consider. Mechatronics is definitely a good combination of mechanical, electrical, and computer engineering, as it focuses on the integration of these fields to create intelligent and automated systems. It would be a great option for you if you are interested in robotics and control systems.

As for your other options, a double major in mechanical and electrical engineering with a minor in computer engineering could also be a good choice. This would allow you to gain a strong foundation in both mechanical and electrical principles, while also developing some skills in computer engineering. In this case, you could specialize in robotics and control systems within your major courses.

Engineering physics is another great option for combining your interests in mechanical and electrical engineering. It is a more theoretical and interdisciplinary field that focuses on the fundamental principles of physics and how they apply to engineering problems. It would also provide you with a strong foundation for a career in robotics and control systems.

Ultimately, the best combination for you will depend on your personal interests and career goals. I would recommend researching the specific courses and curriculum of each program to see which one aligns more closely with your interests. You could also reach out to current students or professionals in these fields to gain more insight and advice.

I wish you all the best in your decision and future studies. Keep exploring and pursuing your passions in engineering!

1. What is Electrical, Mechanical, and Computer Engineering Combination?

Electrical, Mechanical, and Computer Engineering Combination is a field of study that combines principles and techniques from electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, and computer science. It involves designing and building complex systems that integrate hardware and software components, such as robots, autonomous vehicles, and smart devices.

2. What are the career opportunities in this field?

There are various career opportunities in the field of Electrical, Mechanical, and Computer Engineering Combination. Some common job titles include robotics engineer, automation engineer, control systems engineer, embedded systems engineer, and mechatronics engineer. Graduates may also work in industries such as manufacturing, automotive, aerospace, and telecommunications.

3. What skills are required to be successful in this field?

To be successful in the field of Electrical, Mechanical, and Computer Engineering Combination, individuals need to have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer programming. They should also possess analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. Good communication and teamwork are also important for collaborating with other engineers and professionals.

4. What are some notable advancements in this field?

There have been many notable advancements in Electrical, Mechanical, and Computer Engineering Combination, such as the development of self-driving cars, smart homes, and industrial automation. Other advancements include the integration of artificial intelligence and machine learning in engineering systems, as well as the use of renewable energy sources in designing sustainable and efficient systems.

5. How is this field related to other engineering disciplines?

Electrical, Mechanical, and Computer Engineering Combination is closely related to other engineering disciplines, such as electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, and computer science. It combines principles and techniques from these fields to develop integrated and interdisciplinary solutions to complex engineering problems. It also overlaps with other fields, such as robotics, automation, and mechatronics.