Electrical Potential Difference between two plates

In summary, the problem involves a charged particle between two horizontal charged plates with a given distance and a mass and charge of the particle. The goal is to find the potential difference between the plates. The equations used are potential energy = mass x gravity x height and potential difference = electric potential energy / charge. The solution involves setting the force of gravity equal to the electric force and solving for the potential difference.
coolgirl

Homework Statement

HELP!
A charged particle is stationary between two horizontal charged plates. The plates are 2.0 cm apart. The particle has a mass of 4.0X10^-13 kg and a charge of 2.4 X 10^-18 C. Find the potential difference between the plates.

Homework Equations

V= EPE/q ?
...except I have no idea how to find the potential energy. Also, I have no clue how the mass given in the problem fits into an equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I need someone to help me start this!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like a force-balance problem. The force of gravity (down) on the particle is balanced by an equal electric force (up). Begin with Fg = Fe and fill in the detailed formulas before solving for what you want.

So is this how I would do it?:
PE=mgh
PE=(4.0x10^-13)(9.8m/s/s)(1.0cm)
PE=3.92x10^-12

V= EPE/q
V=3.92x10^-12/2.4x10_18C
V= 6.8x10^23V
I don't think I did it right...

Fg = Fe
mg = qE

Thank you :]

1. What is electrical potential difference?

Electrical potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy per unit charge between two points in an electric circuit. It is responsible for the flow of electric current.

2. How is electrical potential difference measured?

Electrical potential difference is measured in units of volts (V) using a voltmeter. A voltmeter is connected in parallel to the circuit, and the voltage difference between the two points can be read on the voltmeter.

3. What causes electrical potential difference between two plates?

Electrical potential difference between two plates is caused by the separation of positive and negative charges on the plates. This creates an electric field between the two plates, which results in a potential difference or voltage.

4. How does the distance between two plates affect the electrical potential difference?

The electrical potential difference between two plates is directly proportional to the distance between them. As the distance increases, the potential difference decreases, and as the distance decreases, the potential difference increases.

5. What is the relationship between electrical potential difference and electric current?

Electrical potential difference is the driving force behind the flow of electric current. The greater the potential difference, the greater the current flow. This relationship is described by Ohm's law, which states that current (I) is equal to the potential difference (V) divided by the resistance (R).