Electrical Potential of a Uniformly Charged Ring

In summary, the on-axis electric potential at a distance z from the center of a uniformly charged disk with a hole of inner radius R_in and outer radius R_out and total charge Q is given by the equation V=\frac{Q*(\sqrt{R_{out}^2+z^2}-\sqrt{R_{in}^2+z^2})}{2*\pi*\epsilon_0*(R_{out}^2-R_{in}^2)}. This can be derived by considering the contributions of small rings and integrating from R_in to R_out.
Gramma2005
I am stuck on this problem:

A disk with a hole has inner radius R_in and outer radius R_out. The disk is uniformly charged with total charge Q. Find an expression for the on-axis electric potential at distance z from the center of the disk.

I started this problem by looking at the electric potential of a ring, which is:
[tex]V=\frac{kQ}{\sqrt{R^2+z^2}}[/tex]

So then if it varies in the thickness of the ring, would it be reasonable to have it be:
[tex]V=\frac{kQ}{\sqrt{(R_{out}-R_{in})^2+z^2}}[/tex]

Or would I need to use the equation for the electric potential of a uniformly charged disk with radius R_out, then subtract the electric potential of the inner disk of radius R_in.

Thanks for your help!

P.S. Hope I did the LaTeX right

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Gramma2005 said:
I am stuck on this problem:

A disk with a hole has inner radius R_in and outer radius R_out. The disk is uniformly charged with total charge Q. Find an expression for the on-axis electric potential at distance z from the center of the disk.

I started this problem by looking at the electric potential of a ring, which is:
[tex]V=\frac{kQ}{\sqrt{R^2+z^2}}[/tex]

So then if it varies in the thickness of the ring, would it be reasonable to have it be:
[tex]V=\frac{kQ}{\sqrt{(R_{out}-R_{in})^2+z^2}}[/tex]

No, that is not correct. You can't just substitute R_in and R_out.
One way of doing this, is finding the contribution of a small ring and integrating to get the contribution of the disc.

Would it be something more like this?:

[tex]V=\frac{2Q}{(R_{out}-R_{in})^2}*\int_{R_{in}}^{R_{out}}\frac{dx}{2*\sqrt{x}}[/tex]

I'm not sure if this is the right integral for the equation?

Last edited:
Gramma2005 said:
Would it be something more like this?:

[tex]V=\frac{2Q}{(R_{out}-R_{in})^2}*\int_{R_{in}}^{R_{out}}\frac{dx}{2*\sqrt{x}}[/tex]

I'm not sure if this is the right integral for the equation?

No, that's not right.

First, consider a small ring of thickness [itex]dr[/itex] with a radius of [itex]r[/itex].

Now, what is the potential due to this ring at point at a height 'z' at the axis? It is,

[tex]V=\frac{kdQ}{\sqrt{r^2+z^2}}[/tex]

where, dQ is the small charge on the ring. How do you find this dQ?
You can find the uniform surface charge density [itex] \sigma [/itex] from the question right? (Hint:Total charge/Total area). Since the ring has a small thickness [itex]dr[/itex], the small area will be [itex] 2 \pi r dr [/itex]. From this, you can find the charge "dQ" on the small ring.

How do you find the potential of the disc? Notice that, if you sum the contributions of such small rings, you will get the potential of the disc. So you integrate the contribution the small ring where the radius varies from [itex]r_{in}[/itex] to [itex]r_{out}[/itex]

Can you put this in mathematical equations and post the answer here?

Last edited:
Alright, I see how it works now, thanks so much for the help. The final solution is:

[tex]V=\frac{Q*(\sqrt{R_{out}^2+z^2}-\sqrt{R_{in}^2+z^2})}{2*\pi*\epsilon_0*(R_{out}^2-R_{in}^2)}[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for calculating the electrical potential of a uniformly charged ring?

The formula for calculating the electrical potential of a uniformly charged ring is V = kq/r, where V is the electrical potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge of the ring, and r is the distance from the center of the ring.

2. How does the electrical potential of a uniformly charged ring vary with distance from the center of the ring?

The electrical potential of a uniformly charged ring varies inversely with the distance from the center of the ring. This means that as the distance increases, the electrical potential decreases.

3. Can the electrical potential of a uniformly charged ring be negative?

Yes, the electrical potential of a uniformly charged ring can be negative. This occurs when the charge of the ring is negative, or when the distance from the center of the ring is greater than the radius of the ring.

4. How does the total charge of the ring affect its electrical potential?

The total charge of the ring directly affects its electrical potential. As the charge of the ring increases, the electrical potential also increases. This is because the electrical potential is directly proportional to the charge of the ring.

5. What is the relationship between the electrical potential and the electric field of a uniformly charged ring?

The electric field of a uniformly charged ring is directly proportional to the electrical potential. This means that as the electrical potential increases, the electric field also increases. The relationship between the two can be expressed as E = V/r, where E is the electric field, V is the electrical potential, and r is the distance from the center of the ring.