Electrodynamics Continuity Equation

In summary: The equation describes the conservation of charge, meaning that the rate of change of charge within a given volume is equal to the net flow of charge out of that volume, taking into account any sources or sinks of charge within the volume. In summary, the continuity equation is a mathematical statement of local charge conservation, stating that the rate of change of charge within a volume is equal to the net flow of charge out of that volume, including any sources or sinks of charge within the volume.
CSOleson

Homework Statement

I am currently studying for a quiz and then following a test in my Electrodynamics test. Right now I am struggling to define the following:
Continuity equation and its physical meaning

Homework Equations

The Continuity Equation is given as the following:
∇J=-∂ρ/∂t

The Attempt at a Solution

There is no solution, I just know that it is the mathematical statement of a local charge conservation (defined by Griffiths). So what is the physical meaning? Can someone help me wrap my head around this concept?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have a typo. It should be
$$\frac{\partial\rho}{\partial t} = \nabla\cdot \vec{J}.$$ It might be easier for you to understand in integral form. If you integrate the equation over a volume V bounded by a closed surface S, you get
$$\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\int_V \rho\,dv = \int_V (\nabla\cdot \vec{J})\,dv = \oint_S \vec{J}\cdot d\vec{S}$$ where the last equality is the divergence theorem. Can you interpret that equation?

I am in the same position as you my friend. but I think that the closest I could physically interpret it is if I use an analogy of water being displaced. A drop of water can be considered as a current density J and they are saying if the drop of water begins to flow away from its point of rest, then as you sum up all the portions that are flowing away between the time it flows away then you would get the same flow rate as if the entire drop of water were to move from one point to another in the same time frame. If I am lacking in my understanding, can someone please steer me in the right direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
vela said:
You have a typo. It should be
$$\frac{\partial\rho}{\partial t} = \nabla\cdot \vec{J}.$$ It might be easier for you to understand in integral form. If you integrate the equation over a volume V bounded by a closed surface S, you get
$$\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\int_V \rho\,dv = \int_V (\nabla\cdot \vec{J})\,dv = \oint_S \vec{J}\cdot d\vec{S}$$ where the last equality is the divergence theorem. Can you interpret that equation?

Is it describing the flowing charge produces a current?

No. A flow of charge is by definition a current.

1. What is the Electrodynamics Continuity Equation?

The Electrodynamics Continuity Equation is a fundamental equation in electromagnetism that describes the conservation of electric charge in a given system. It states that the rate of change of charge density in a region is equal to the negative of the divergence of the electric current density in that region.

2. How is the Electrodynamics Continuity Equation derived?

The Electrodynamics Continuity Equation can be derived from Maxwell's equations, specifically the Gauss's Law and Faraday's Law. By taking the divergence of the Ampere-Maxwell Law and combining it with the continuity equation for charge, the Electrodynamics Continuity Equation can be obtained.

3. What are the applications of the Electrodynamics Continuity Equation?

The Electrodynamics Continuity Equation is used in various fields, including electrical engineering, electronics, and plasma physics. It is essential in understanding the behavior of electric currents and charge distribution in different systems, such as circuits, antennas, and plasma devices.

4. How does the Electrodynamics Continuity Equation relate to conservation laws?

The Electrodynamics Continuity Equation is closely related to the law of conservation of charge, which states that the total amount of electric charge in a closed system remains constant. The continuity equation ensures that this conservation law is satisfied by describing how the charge density and current density change in a given region.

5. Are there any limitations to the Electrodynamics Continuity Equation?

While the Electrodynamics Continuity Equation is a fundamental equation in electromagnetism, it has some limitations. It assumes that the system is in steady-state, meaning that the charge density and current density do not change with time. It also does not account for quantum effects and is only applicable at the macroscopic level.