What chapters can I skip when self-studying Griffiths electrodynamics?

In summary: No. It is not a requirement to use Griffiths in this course.In summary, the author is studying electrodynamics on their own and wants to be done with it once and for all. There is no such thing as being done with a physics book once and for all, and what is important for the rest of physics depends on the goals of the student. Skipping certain topics may result in lost continuity in learning, so it is best to complete the entire book.
Ahmed1029
I'm currently studying Griffiths electrodynamics on my own and I want to be done with it once and for all. I however don't know if all the chapters are important for the rest of physics and which ones can be skipped without loss of continuity. Can someone give me some insight?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Ahmed1029 said:
important for the rest of physics
Depends on what physics you want to learn and practice.

Likes Demystifier and Vanadium 50
What do you mean by ”rest of physics”? Nobody knows (or needs to know) everything that falls within the physics subject. The answer depends on your goals.

Furthermore there is no general agreement between textbook authors to keep the contents of books within strictly defined frames. There will be overlap between books and you can always go back to a previous book for reference. As such, there is no such thing as being done with a physics book once and for all.

Likes hutchphd, vela, Ahmed1029 and 2 others
Ahmed1029 said:
I however don't know if all the chapters are important for the rest of physics and which ones can be skipped without loss of continuity.
Which ones were you thinking of skipping? Which ones have you completed?
Table of Contents:

Vector Analysis
Electrostatics
Potentials
Electrostatic Fields in Matter
Magnetostatics
Magnetic Fields in Matter
Electrodynamics
Conservation Laws
Electromagnetic Waves
Potentials and Fields
Radiation
Electrodynamics and Relativity
Vector Calculus in Curvilinear Coordinates
Helmholtz Theorem.
https://library.villanova.edu/Find/Record/1695950/TOC

• Love
Likes Vanadium 50 and hutchphd
berkeman said:
Which ones were you thinking of skipping?
Exactly. Which topics do you want to remain ignorant about?

Likes ohwilleke and Ahmed1029
Vanadium 50 said:
Exactly. Which topics do you want to remain ignorant about?
Maybe Radiation? It's not dangerous, is it?

• Haha
Likes madscientist_93, ohwilleke, Delta2 and 2 others
If you skip it in Griffiths and meet it in Jackson, you'll probably end up going back to Griffiths anyway.

Best to just complete the entire book. I only took the first course out of two using Griffiths, but it was well written and enjoyable.

Likes ohwilleke, Delta2, Vanadium 50 and 3 others
Ahmed1029 said:
I'm currently studying Griffiths electrodynamics on my own and I want to be done with it once and for all.
I studied physics as an undergraduate and as a graduate student (PhD) before Griffiths's book existed. Then I taught physics for nearly 30 years, including electrodynamics from Griffiths a couple of times. I never felt like I was "done with" electrodynamics or any other subject. Every time I "went through" a subject, whether for a course I was taking, or for teaching it, I learned something new, or got new insights on it.

Why are you studying it on your own? Is it a hobby-type pursuit, or are you hoping to "get ahead" in university studies? That might influence what you should focus on. Otherwise, I would say, at least look at everything, so that if later you decide, "gee, I should have studied that more closely", you know where to go for it.

• Informative
Likes Hamiltonian, nasu, robphy and 6 others
jtbell said:
I studied physics as an undergraduate and as a graduate student (PhD) before Griffiths's book existed. Then I taught physics for nearly 30 years, including electrodynamics from Griffiths a couple of times. I never felt like I was "done with" electrodynamics or any other subject. Every time I "went through" a subject, whether for a course I was taking, or for teaching it, I learned something new, or got new insights on it.

Why are you studying it on your own? Is it a hobby-type pursuit, or are you hoping to "get ahead" in university studies? That might influence what you should focus on. Otherwise, I would say, at least look at everything, so that if later you decide, "gee, I should have studied that more closely", you know where to go for it.
You'll be surprised if I told you I'm actually a medical student. I got into medicine against my will, but I was so angry that I decided to study physics on my own (my passion since high school). I finished the calculus sequence, linear algebra, ODE, classical mechanics by kleppner, purcell's electromagnetism, and I'm currently studying Griffiths electrodynamics and quantum mechanics simultaneously.

I'm going to apply for a biophysics phd program when I'm done with both undergrad physics and medicine (I intend to take the GRE physics test as well), so that's why I'm learning physics. The question was just me making sure to be economical and not be spending time on things generally skipped in college, because I only have 2 years left. So do I have to read an entire book for each remaining subject?

• Love
Likes vanhees71, malawi_glenn and PeroK
8.07 uses Griffiths? How the mighty have fallen - when I was a student they used Jackson.

:oldsurprised:

• Sad
  • Haha
Likes Falgun, MidgetDwarf, dextercioby and 2 others
Vanadium 50 said:
8.07 uses Griffiths? How the mighty have fallen - when I was a student they used Jackson.

:oldsurprised:
We used Marion when I took 8.07.

Likes vanhees71 and Delta2
berkeman said:
Maybe Radiation? It's not dangerous, is it?
I know you are joking but that chapter contains the Electric Dipole Radiation theory. This is the very basis of all human technology about wireless communications.

Likes vanhees71
Ahmed1029 said:
'm going to apply for a biophysics phd program when I'm done with both undergrad physics and medicine (I intend to take the GRE physics test as well), so that's why I'm learning physics.
Have you investigated the admissions requirements for biophysics PhD programs at universities that you think you might apply to? Would they accept an undergraduate medical degree and self-study in physics?

I wrote "undergraduate" because I suspect you're not in the US. I understand that in some/many countries, medical degrees are undergraduate, whereas in the US, they're always graduate degrees (you have to earn a bachelor's degree in something, and then apply to medical school).

Likes vanhees71
I'd skip all of Griffiths and find another textbook. This is a continuing debate/discussion on these forums.

• Wow
  • Sad
Likes PeroK, malawi_glenn, Delta2 and 1 other person
Dr Transport said:
I'd skip all of Griffiths and find another textbook
Why?

Likes Delta2
I guess @Dr Transport refers to the quantum mechanics textbook by Griffiths, which seems to be pretty confusing for students because of its sloppiness, but I think the electrodynamics textbook is pretty good as an introductory textbook.

• Love
Likes malawi_glenn and Delta2
I've never been a fan of Griffiths E&M text, never will be. Others are better in my estimation. He is sloppy in every text he has written.

• Wow
  • Sad
Likes PeroK and Delta2
I'd also prefer Sommerfeld, but this is a bit outdated. What's your recommendation for an introductory E&M text?

Likes Delta2
Wangsness, the only part of his text I don't like is his relativity treatment, uses [ tex ]x _4 = ict [ /tex ]. (my brain isn't working for TeX this morning...)

Likes vanhees71
Well, yes, that's the main obstacle of Sommerfeld's vol. 3 too :-(.

Dr Transport said:
Wangsness
Is it still for sale? Save for used ones.

What about Zangwill? Or Lechner?

Likes vanhees71
Zangwill is a good book, but why it's named "Modern electrodynamics" is an enigma. For me Landau&Lifshitz vol. 2 is way more modern than this book (in fact I think the "relativity first" approach is the best, but it's not for introductory courses). Lechner is, in my opinion, one of the most impressive really new treatments of the subject but far from being an introductory text.

Likes Demystifier, Orodruin and malawi_glenn
Wangsness has been out of print for many years, 30+, I would say. He passed away and no one ever picked up further editions. Maybe a used copy could be obtained online or maybe an electronic copy.

I just like how it is laid out, consise chapters, uniform notion and flow.

Dr Transport said:
Wangsness has been out of print for many years, 30+,
I had it as official course book when I took introductory electrodynamics about 15 years ago, bought it new hardcover quite cheap but I sold it after the class. I had Griffiths as a side read and kept that one instead.

vanhees71 said:
Lechner is, in my opinion, one of the most impressive really new treatments of the subject but far from being an introductory text.
I have not read it, but once I go back and review classical electrodynamics I think it is the one I will go to.

Its great achievement is to really treat the radiation-reaction problem of point particles (which in my opinion are only a fiction of the human mind) as far as it can be treated, using the techniques of generalized functions. For me the other part, dealing with classical massless charged point particles, is quite academic, but it's amazing how far you can get even with this even more exotic entities.

Last edited:
vanhees71 said:
It's great achievement
Lechner book?

Sounds interesting. I might also consider Zangwill because I do not like Springer books (low binding quality, I only buy books from Springer when there is a substantial discount). CUP have greater physical quality.

I think Griffiths electrodynamics is fantastic and not all that sloppy. His QM book is on the other hand REALLY BAD, but I find no alternative at my level so I'm kinda stuck with it🥲.

Likes vanhees71
Thread is still vibrant and interesting, so moved to the Textbooks forum for now. :smile:

Ahmed1029 said:
but I find no alternative at my level so I'm kinda stuck with it
Have you tried leonard susskinds Quantum mechanics - the theoretical minimum?

malawi_glenn said:
Have you tried leonard susskinds Quantum mechanics - the theoretical minimum?
For studying classical electrodynamics? 🤔

Orodruin said:
For studying electrodynamics? 🤔
I thought he was also using Griffiths for QM and wanted an alternative to the QM book?
Ahmed1029 said:
His QM book is on the other hand REALLY BAD, but I find no alternative at my level so I'm kinda stuck with it🥲.

I guess the title confused me …

Orodruin said:
I guess the title confused me …
It is often said that Griffiths QM book confuses students, perhaps it is related to that?

• Haha
Likes CrysPhys
Junior level classical mechanics, quantum mechanics and e&m are the foundations of the physics degrees. Skipping things here is risky.

That being said, if you are getting relativity someone else …

You might try Zwiebach for quantum. It has the advantage of the MIT opencourseware lectures.
https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/mastering-quantum-mechanics

• Love
Likes Hamiltonian, Ahmed1029 and Demystifier
<h2>1. What is the purpose of self-studying Griffiths electrodynamics?</h2><p>Self-studying Griffiths electrodynamics allows individuals to gain a deeper understanding of the principles and concepts of electrodynamics on their own time and pace.</p><h2>2. Can I skip any chapters when self-studying Griffiths electrodynamics?</h2><p>While it is possible to skip certain chapters, it is not recommended as each chapter builds upon the previous one and skipping chapters may result in a lack of understanding of important concepts.</p><h2>3. Which chapters are commonly skipped when self-studying Griffiths electrodynamics?</h2><p>The chapters that are commonly skipped when self-studying Griffiths electrodynamics are Chapter 8: Magnetostatics, Chapter 9: Magnetic Fields in Matter, and Chapter 12: Electrodynamics and Relativity.</p><h2>4. Are there any resources available to help me understand the skipped chapters?</h2><p>Yes, there are various online resources such as lecture notes, videos, and study guides that can help supplement your understanding of the skipped chapters.</p><h2>5. Is it recommended to skip chapters if I am short on time?</h2><p>No, it is not recommended to skip chapters even if you are short on time. It is important to have a solid understanding of all the concepts in order to fully grasp the principles of electrodynamics.</p>

1. What is the purpose of self-studying Griffiths electrodynamics?

Self-studying Griffiths electrodynamics allows individuals to gain a deeper understanding of the principles and concepts of electrodynamics on their own time and pace.

2. Can I skip any chapters when self-studying Griffiths electrodynamics?

While it is possible to skip certain chapters, it is not recommended as each chapter builds upon the previous one and skipping chapters may result in a lack of understanding of important concepts.

3. Which chapters are commonly skipped when self-studying Griffiths electrodynamics?

The chapters that are commonly skipped when self-studying Griffiths electrodynamics are Chapter 8: Magnetostatics, Chapter 9: Magnetic Fields in Matter, and Chapter 12: Electrodynamics and Relativity.

4. Are there any resources available to help me understand the skipped chapters?

Yes, there are various online resources such as lecture notes, videos, and study guides that can help supplement your understanding of the skipped chapters.

5. Is it recommended to skip chapters if I am short on time?

No, it is not recommended to skip chapters even if you are short on time. It is important to have a solid understanding of all the concepts in order to fully grasp the principles of electrodynamics.