What chapters can I skip when self-studying Griffiths electrodynamics?

In summary: No. It is not a requirement to use Griffiths in this course.In summary, the author is studying electrodynamics on their own and wants to be done with it once and for all. There is no such thing as being done with a physics book once and for all, and what is important for the rest of physics depends on the goals of the student. Skipping certain topics may result in lost continuity in learning, so it is best to complete the entire book.
caz said:
You might try Zwiebach for quantum. It has the advantage of the MIT opencourseware lectures.
https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/mastering-quantum-mechanics
I think he wants to shorten the number of pages to read. Zwiebach seems to go the other way.

Likes malawi_glenn
Physics news on Phys.org
If you already covered all of the chapters in Purcell, then you will find a fair amount of overlap with Griffiths. If it were me and I wanted to skip a couple of chapters, I would skip the ones about fields in media since Purcell has reasonable coverage of those. On the other hand I would definitely not skip the chapters on waves, conservation theorems, radiation and special relativity. Purcell skips a lot of that material or treats it in a way I found more confusing.

And by “cover” i mean read the chapters and solved some number of problems in the book.

Likes vanhees71
Concerning relativity Purcell confused me more than it helped. I think Griffiths is a much better book anyway.

Likes Ahmed1029, malawi_glenn and jasonRF
Ahmed1029 said:
The question was just me making sure to be economical and not be spending time on things generally skipped in college, because I only have 2 years left. So do I have to read an entire book for each remaining subject?
<<Emphasis added.>> This thread has forked into different paths. But I believe this is your underlying question.

It's been many moons since I was in school. But as far as I can remember, the professor typically did not go over the textbook from cover to cover. This even applied to several courses in which the professor wrote or co-wrote the textbook.

Often a textbook includes more material than can be covered in a one-semester course, or even a two-semester sequence. Often a textbook includes material that is not relevant to a department's particular curriculum (which may change over time), or contains material that is covered in a different course using a different textbook (which may change over time). On the flip side, often the professor supplements the primary textbook with portions from other textbooks, or from his own notes.

So my advice to you is what I wrote previously: There are many university websites describing details of their courses. Check those out as guides for your self-study. They likely won't all agree in their entirety. But there will be topics with high overlap.

Likes jtbell and Ahmed1029
malawi_glenn said:
I already referenced that above in my Reply #10. But I would encourage the OP to take a sampling of other universities. In the context of online resources, there are frequent references to MIT because of their extensive OpenCourseWare and because, well, it's MIT. But important caveat: Their course presentation in many instances is atypical, which isn't surprising since it's not a typical university.

Likes Ahmed1029 and malawi_glenn
CrysPhys said:
But as far as I can remember, the professor typically did not go over the textbook from cover to cover. This even applied to several courses in which the professor wrote or co-wrote the textbook.
Example: I use different parts of my book as the main reference in three different courses.

Likes Hamiltonian, berkeman, Ahmed1029 and 1 other person
Ahmed1029 said:
I think Griffiths electrodynamics is fantastic and not all that sloppy. His QM book is on the other hand REALLY BAD, but I find no alternative at my level so I'm kinda stuck with it🥲.
You can try Quantum Theory by David Bohm

Likes Ahmed1029 and vanhees71
<h2>1. What is the purpose of self-studying Griffiths electrodynamics?</h2><p>Self-studying Griffiths electrodynamics allows individuals to gain a deeper understanding of the principles and concepts of electrodynamics on their own time and pace.</p><h2>2. Can I skip any chapters when self-studying Griffiths electrodynamics?</h2><p>While it is possible to skip certain chapters, it is not recommended as each chapter builds upon the previous one and skipping chapters may result in a lack of understanding of important concepts.</p><h2>3. Which chapters are commonly skipped when self-studying Griffiths electrodynamics?</h2><p>The chapters that are commonly skipped when self-studying Griffiths electrodynamics are Chapter 8: Magnetostatics, Chapter 9: Magnetic Fields in Matter, and Chapter 12: Electrodynamics and Relativity.</p><h2>4. Are there any resources available to help me understand the skipped chapters?</h2><p>Yes, there are various online resources such as lecture notes, videos, and study guides that can help supplement your understanding of the skipped chapters.</p><h2>5. Is it recommended to skip chapters if I am short on time?</h2><p>No, it is not recommended to skip chapters even if you are short on time. It is important to have a solid understanding of all the concepts in order to fully grasp the principles of electrodynamics.</p>

1. What is the purpose of self-studying Griffiths electrodynamics?

Self-studying Griffiths electrodynamics allows individuals to gain a deeper understanding of the principles and concepts of electrodynamics on their own time and pace.

2. Can I skip any chapters when self-studying Griffiths electrodynamics?

While it is possible to skip certain chapters, it is not recommended as each chapter builds upon the previous one and skipping chapters may result in a lack of understanding of important concepts.

3. Which chapters are commonly skipped when self-studying Griffiths electrodynamics?

The chapters that are commonly skipped when self-studying Griffiths electrodynamics are Chapter 8: Magnetostatics, Chapter 9: Magnetic Fields in Matter, and Chapter 12: Electrodynamics and Relativity.

4. Are there any resources available to help me understand the skipped chapters?

Yes, there are various online resources such as lecture notes, videos, and study guides that can help supplement your understanding of the skipped chapters.

5. Is it recommended to skip chapters if I am short on time?

No, it is not recommended to skip chapters even if you are short on time. It is important to have a solid understanding of all the concepts in order to fully grasp the principles of electrodynamics.