Electrodynamics: Derivatives involving Retarded-Time

In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical confusion regarding the expression for retarded time and the use of derivatives in relation to field and source coordinates. The mistake made is assuming a dependency between the two types of coordinates, when they should be treated as independent variables.
WWCY
Hi all,

I have ran into some mathematical confusion when studying the aforementioned topic. The expression for retarded time is given as
$$t_R = t - R/c$$
##R = | \vec{r} - \vec{r'} |##, where ##\vec{r}## represents the point of evaluation and ##\vec{r'}## represents the source position. I rewrite the above equation into
$$x_i = x'_i + \text{terms independent of x' and x}$$
where ##x_i## is a cartesian coordinate. If I had the following derivative ##\partial _{x_i}##, could I then say this?
$$\partial _{x_i} = \frac{ \partial }{ \partial x'_i} \frac{ \partial x'_i}{ \partial x_i} = \partial _{x'_i}$$

If so, there is the following identity
$$\nabla(1/R) = - \nabla ' (1/R)$$
where the prime means that the derivative is with respect to source coordinates ##x' _i##

Suppose I start from the RHS:
$$\nabla (1/R) = \sum_i \partial_ {x_i} (\frac{1}{R}) \hat{x_i} = \sum_i \partial_ {x' _i} (\frac{1}{R}) \hat{x_i} = \nabla' (1/R)$$

which is clearly wrong. What have I done wrongly?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your mistake is that you consider the dependency equation ##x_i=x'_i+C## between the field coordinates and the source coordinates but there can be no such dependency, we treat all field variables ##x_i## and all source variable ##x'_i## as independent from each other when proving the identity ##\nabla (1/R)=-\nabla'(1/R)##.

Likes WWCY and anorlunda

1. What is meant by "retarded-time" in electrodynamics?

"Retarded-time" refers to the concept in electrodynamics that the effects of electromagnetic fields and interactions between charged particles occur at a time that is delayed from when the cause of the field or interaction took place. This delay is due to the finite speed of light, as it takes time for the electromagnetic waves to travel from one point to another.

2. How are derivatives involving retarded-time used in electrodynamics?

Derivatives involving retarded-time are used to describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields and interactions between charged particles. They allow us to calculate the electric and magnetic fields at a given point in space and time, taking into account the effects of the fields and interactions at earlier times.

3. What is the significance of the "retarded potential" in electrodynamics?

The "retarded potential" is a mathematical concept used in electrodynamics to describe the potential energy of a charged particle at a given point in space and time. It takes into account the effects of the electric and magnetic fields at earlier times, and is essential for accurately predicting the behavior of charged particles in electromagnetic fields.

4. Can you explain the "retarded Green's function" in electrodynamics?

The "retarded Green's function" is a mathematical tool used in electrodynamics to solve equations involving derivatives with respect to retarded-time. It describes the response of a system to a source at a given point in space and time, taking into account the effects of the source at earlier times. It is commonly used in the study of electromagnetic waves and their interactions with matter.

5. How do derivatives involving retarded-time impact our understanding of causality in electrodynamics?

Derivatives involving retarded-time are crucial for maintaining causality in electrodynamics. They ensure that the effects of electromagnetic fields and interactions between charged particles occur after their causes, in accordance with the finite speed of light. Without these derivatives, our understanding of the behavior of charged particles in electromagnetic fields would violate the principle of causality.