Electrodynamics of point particle at relativistic velocities

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
sanko
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
do you know any text or reference with extensive treatment on electromagnetic field ,potential & electromagnetic energy of point particle moving straight at relativistic velocities?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Try chapter 15 of Franklin's "Classical Electromagnetism".
 
Chapter 12 in the common 'Introduction to Electrodynamics' by David J. Griffiths is about electrodynamics and special relativity. I saw an example in the book about a moving point charge so that seems promising.

I had a book in a course once written by Wolfgang Rindler called 'Introduction to Special Relativity' which had a quite long section about electromagnetism and special relativity, but this book was more leaned towards special relativity than electrodynamics (as you can guess by the title).

How much of special relativity theory do you want? And what is it more specific that you're looking for? How the fields of a point charge transform under the Lorentz transformation? Cause that shouldn't be so hard to find, I guess there is a lot on Wikipedia for example.
 
For straight, no acceleration then I think that Griffiths may have that (I don't have it on hand to check though). If you want a detailed analysis for more abstract situations (relativistic, accelerating) Jackson has a good treatment of the subject.