Electrolysis C/W contd. Variables help

In summary, the person is seeking help to improve their marked draft of their coursework, specifically on expanding on the listed variables. The variables include time, current, temperature, solution, molarity of solution, charge of ions, quantity of solution, size of electrodes, distance between electrodes, and surface area of electrodes. They also ask for clarification on the concepts of charge and quantity.
AdamCFC
I have the marked draft of my coursework, its 36/40 but I need to improve 3 things. I need to expand on the Variables I have listed on my coursework, i have done half of them but I am having trouble on the others. Heres the vaiables, the bold is what I've added. Any help is much appreciated, :smile:
Thanks, Adam

• Time – how long electrolysation happens for

• Current – how many amps travel to the electrode

• Temperature – effects particles kinetic energy

• Solution – type of ion

• Molarity of solution – mols/cm3 ; number of ions

• Charge of Ions -

• Quantity of solution -

• Size of electrodes -

• Distance between electrodes -

• Surface area of electrodes -

P.s Am i right in thinking the bottom three would be the same ; area exposed to electrolysation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could anyone help?

Distance between electrodes doesn't change their surface, but it changes the solution resistance.

Thankyou, would Charge be : amount/strength of charge and what would quantity be :/

Charge of ion is number of electrons that is has to gain (or lose) to become neutral.

--

• Time – how long electrolysation happens for

• Current – how many amps travel to the electrode

• Temperature – effects particles kinetic energy

• Solution – type of ion

• Molarity of solution – mols/cm3 ; number of ions

• Charge of Ions - number of electrons needed to become neutral

• Quantity of solution -

• Size of electrodes - Area exposed to electrolysation

• Distance between electrodes - resistance of solution

• Surface area of electrodes - Area exposed to electrolysation

Isnt charge like this though - 1.6 x 〖10〗^(-19) Charge for every unit, so Cu2+ has a charge and 3.2 x 〖10〗^(-19) C and Fe3+ has a charge of 4.8 x 〖10〗^(-19) C.

1. What is electrolysis?

Electrolysis is a chemical process in which an electric current is passed through a substance to cause a chemical reaction. This reaction breaks down the substance into its component parts.

2. What are the variables that can affect electrolysis?

The variables that can affect electrolysis include the type of substance being electrolyzed, the concentration of the substance, the type of electrode used, the current and voltage applied, and the temperature of the solution.

3. How does the type of substance affect electrolysis?

The type of substance being electrolyzed determines the products of the reaction. For example, electrolysis of water produces hydrogen and oxygen gas, while electrolysis of sodium chloride produces chlorine gas, hydrogen gas, and sodium hydroxide.

4. How does the concentration of the substance affect electrolysis?

The concentration of the substance affects the rate of the electrolysis reaction. A higher concentration of the substance means there are more particles available to react, resulting in a faster reaction rate.

5. How can the current and voltage affect electrolysis?

The current and voltage applied during electrolysis can affect the rate of the reaction and the products formed. A higher current and voltage can result in a faster reaction rate, but it can also lead to side reactions and the production of unintended products.