Electrolysis using a single electrode

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating electrolysis in saltwater using a single electrode. The speaker explains their understanding of the process and shares their own experiment, but notes that there are other details to consider and a second electrode is necessary. They also mention the difference between electrolysis for producing gases and for plating.
uzi kiko
Hello

Inspired by this video,

I wondered if it was possible to create a process of electrolysis in saltwater using a single electrode.
To my understanding (Please see the attached diagram), if a direct current passes through I2 (after the diode) a direct current must also pass through I1 (through the electrode). However, in a small experiment I did, based on this diagram, I was unable to produce electrolysis products

Does this theoretically seem possible to you?

Thanks a lot
Mosh

Attachments

• diagram.png
    diagram.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 134
Engineering news on Phys.org
Theoretically yes, as far as you've described it anyway. But there are a lot of other details to get right. For one, there must always be a 2nd electrode of some sort, although it could be disguised (like a metal tank wall, for example). Charges must flow from somewhere to somewhere else, those would be the electrodes.

Look at some of the "related threads" below. Electrolysis isn't as easy to do as it sounds.

I guess I was assuming you wanted to breakdown water into Hydrogen and Oxygen. Of course there is also electrolysis in the sense of plating (moving ions through an electrolyte). That is much easier. For example moving Zinc ions from a Zinc electrode onto a Copper electrode is easy. However, the process may be slow with harvested energy because the current will be low.

Thanks a lot!

you're absolutely right. In my experiment, I ignored the need for the current to eventually move through the water ...

Likes Windadct

1. How does electrolysis using a single electrode work?

Electrolysis using a single electrode involves passing an electric current through an electrolyte solution using only one electrode. This causes a chemical reaction at the electrode, resulting in the separation of the electrolyte into its component parts.

2. What is the purpose of using a single electrode in electrolysis?

The use of a single electrode in electrolysis allows for the selective separation of different components in the electrolyte solution. This can be useful in various industrial processes, such as purifying metals or extracting chemicals from a solution.

3. What types of materials can be used as a single electrode in electrolysis?

A single electrode in electrolysis can be made from a variety of materials, including metals such as copper, platinum, or graphite, as well as non-metal materials like carbon or glass.

4. Can electrolysis using a single electrode be used for both oxidation and reduction reactions?

Yes, electrolysis using a single electrode can be used for both oxidation and reduction reactions. The direction of the reaction depends on the polarity of the electrode and the type of electrolyte used.

5. Are there any limitations to using a single electrode in electrolysis?

One limitation of using a single electrode in electrolysis is that it can only be used for reactions that involve a single component in the electrolyte solution. It is not suitable for reactions that involve multiple components or require the separation of specific ions.