Maximizing Brown Gas Production Using Electrolysis

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of electrolysis to break the hydrogen-oxygen bond in water, resulting in a brown gas that has potential as a fuel for cars and homes. The use of a 12 V DC current and various electrolytes and electrodes can enhance the production of this gas. However, there are concerns about the efficiency and practicality of using this gas as a fuel source.
Loydi
Breaking the hydrogen-oxygen bond in water with electrolysis creates a brown gas with a great deal of potential as a fuel for cars and homes. Some of this is being done, however, increasing the amount of H and O gas released would be a big plus. There are several variables using a 12 V dc current (auto). The electrolyte used seems to be the biggest. I am looking for a good combination of materials for the electrodes, electrolytes and any other variables that would enhance brown gas production. Loyd

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Water is not a fuel, it is a waste product of combustion. So any energy that you put into it to "unburn" it will be greater than what you get back by burning it again.

'Brown gas' is not a fuel, unless you take ordinary gasoline and dye it brown. It's not clear what the OP is talking about, since both hydrogen and oxygen are colorless gasses.

What I am doing is separating the H & O with electrolysis. The bond breaks readily with a 12 V DC current and about 5 amps. The resulting H is a good source of energy. I want to refine it using the best combination of electrolytes and metals for the process. Loyd

SteamKing... The gas from breaking water using and electrolyte and a DC current is commonly referred to as brown gas.

SteamKing said:
'Brown gas' is not a fuel, unless you take ordinary gasoline and dye it brown. It's not clear what the OP is talking about, since both hydrogen and oxygen are colorless gasses.
Time for a thread closure I'm afraid. There is a Wiki page for Oxyhydrogen, which states:

Brown's gas[4] and HHO are fringe science terms for a 2:1 mixture of oxyhydrogen; its proponents claim that it has special properties.

Oh. And reference 4 is this:

Burning water and other myths

Loydi said:
What I am doing is separating the H & O with electrolysis. The bond breaks readily with a 12 V DC current and about 5 amps. The resulting H is a good source of energy. I want to refine it using the best combination of electrolytes and metals for the process. Loyd
Yes, I understand what you are doing. Do you understand that the theoretical maximum efficiency possible from your complete cycle is zero and a more likely maximum efficiency is -80% (you put in 5x as much energy as you get back)?

Please read the provided links. Yes, it is time for a thread closure.

1. What is brown gas and why is it important?

Brown gas, also known as HHO or oxyhydrogen, is a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen gases produced through the process of electrolysis. It is important because it is a clean and renewable source of energy that can be used as a fuel for various applications, such as powering cars or heating homes.

2. How does electrolysis work to produce brown gas?

Electrolysis is a chemical process that uses an electrical current to split water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen gases. This is achieved by passing an electric current through two electrodes placed in a container of water, causing the water molecules to break apart into their component elements.

3. What factors affect the production of brown gas through electrolysis?

The amount of brown gas produced through electrolysis is affected by several factors, including the type and concentration of electrolyte used, the size and spacing of the electrodes, and the strength of the electrical current. The temperature and purity of the water can also play a role in the efficiency of the electrolysis process.

4. How can the production of brown gas be maximized using electrolysis?

To maximize the production of brown gas using electrolysis, it is important to use a high-quality electrolyte solution, such as potassium hydroxide, and to ensure that the electrodes are properly sized and spaced for optimal surface area. Using a higher voltage and current can also increase the efficiency of the electrolysis process.

5. What are the potential safety concerns when working with electrolysis to produce brown gas?

Electrolysis can be a potentially hazardous process, as it involves the use of electricity and can produce highly flammable gases. It is important to take necessary precautions, such as wearing protective gear and working in a well-ventilated area, when conducting electrolysis experiments. It is also important to properly handle and store the produced brown gas to avoid any potential accidents.