1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic elevation expectations

1. Nov 20, 2015 #1
    I am wondering the realistic expectation of a large, rectangular electromagnet, or series of them, to elevate a variable weight.

Specifically, can an electromagnet be designed in a 76 inch by 80 inch platform and elevate a plate of the same dimensions that can hold a maximum of 400 pounds?

Secondly, if the design is feasible, would it be cost feasible for the materials?

Thank you so much.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Yes. Actually, it can be much smaller. See the electromagnets used for scrapyards, they are smaller, can lift more, and don't even need a special platform.

What is "feasible" for costs? Different applications will have different limits.

4. Nov 20, 2015 #3
    Thanks for your reply.

I need the base to be that specific size though, and to be able to levitate a platform that same size.

5. Nov 20, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Well, it can be smaller. Making it larger makes it easier.

6. Nov 20, 2015 #5
    Excellent! That's what I was hoping for.

Thank you very much.

7. Nov 20, 2015 #6
    Can you direct me in the way of making this happen? I'm having trouble finding design plans for something like this.

8. Nov 20, 2015 #7

mfb

2016 Award

Lifting loads of that size with an electromagnet should be done by equipment built by an expert.

9. Nov 20, 2015 #8

Hesch

Gold Member

Say you make an electromagnet with an E shape, a total cross section area = 1m2 and a magnetic induction = 1T, it can elevate an iron plate about 41000 kg. ( 74000 pounds ). The force is proportional to the magnetic induction and the cross section area.

So obtain an E shaped iron core and calculate number of turns and required current by means of amperes law. ( Remember about 0.1mm airgaps ).

Don't use higher magnetic induction than 1T, or the iron will saturate. Calculate it to elevate 400 pounds+30%.

Keep your feets at some distance during test. :wink:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook