Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic elevation expectations

1. Nov 20, 2015 #1
    I am wondering the realistic expectation of a large, rectangular electromagnet, or series of them, to elevate a variable weight.

Specifically, can an electromagnet be designed in a 76 inch by 80 inch platform and elevate a plate of the same dimensions that can hold a maximum of 400 pounds?

Secondly, if the design is feasible, would it be cost feasible for the materials?

Thank you so much.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Yes. Actually, it can be much smaller. See the electromagnets used for scrapyards, they are smaller, can lift more, and don't even need a special platform.

What is "feasible" for costs? Different applications will have different limits.

4. Nov 20, 2015 #3
    Thanks for your reply.

I need the base to be that specific size though, and to be able to levitate a platform that same size.

5. Nov 20, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Well, it can be smaller. Making it larger makes it easier.

6. Nov 20, 2015 #5
    Excellent! That's what I was hoping for.

Thank you very much.

7. Nov 20, 2015 #6
    Can you direct me in the way of making this happen? I'm having trouble finding design plans for something like this.

8. Nov 20, 2015 #7

mfb

2016 Award

Lifting loads of that size with an electromagnet should be done by equipment built by an expert.

9. Nov 20, 2015 #8

Hesch

Gold Member

Say you make an electromagnet with an E shape, a total cross section area = 1m2 and a magnetic induction = 1T, it can elevate an iron plate about 41000 kg. ( 74000 pounds ). The force is proportional to the magnetic induction and the cross section area.

So obtain an E shaped iron core and calculate number of turns and required current by means of amperes law. ( Remember about 0.1mm airgaps ).

Don't use higher magnetic induction than 1T, or the iron will saturate. Calculate it to elevate 400 pounds+30%.

Keep your feets at some distance during test. :wink:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook