Electromagnetic field on molecule

In summary, if you want to create a magnetic field, you need to use a lot of electricity. If you want to create an electric field, you need to use less electricity.
fysik
hello!

it is known that static electrical field can change the direction of movement of water dripping, etc

I suppose this can also happen with other molecules that are dipoles or somehow influenced by electrical or magnetic field

my question is what are the equation(s) that describe this influence

specifically how the strength of electrical/magnetic field can accelerate at which acceleration an amount of water eg a molecule of water, etc

I need to know what acceleration I can achieve by exposing a molecule of water to an electrical/magnetic field

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If the electric field is uniform, there is no net force on the dipole. The opposite forces on the positive and negative charge of the dipole cancel out, and the molecule as a whole does not accelerate. The molecule just rotates because of the electric field. If the field is not uniform, then the forces on the positive and negative charges are not equal, and then the molecule has a net force on it, and it accelerates. The force, and therefore the acceleration, depends on how non-uniform the electric field is. The force is expressed in terms of the dipole moment and the gradient of the electric field.
In the standard experiment of the change in direction of dripping water, the electric field is non-uniform

how much electricity do I need to create a mass spectrometer, that accelerates ions?
does it accelerate ions in vacuum or air?
how fast does it accelerate ions?

What do you think? What will be the problem if you try it in air?

I think there will be collisions, but maybe the strength of the field will be adequate to maintain a fairly straight acceleration

how much electricity do I need to create a magnetic field of 0.01–0.015 T

fysik said:
I think there will be collisions, but maybe the strength of the field will be adequate to maintain a fairly straight acceleration
Every collision will change the direction of the ion's velocity. You cannot have a straight trajectory in a gas at normal pressure.
Is this for a school project? I hope you don't really think of building an accelerator.

In what units would you want the amount of "electricity" for your second question?

Your questions leave the impression that you are not yet understanding the basic principles for such a task.
The people at MIT were a little more advanced when they started the actual construction.
I am sure they knew how to find the "amount of electricity" they will need.

Not that is anything wrong in asking questions, don't get me wrong. :)

What is an electromagnetic field?

An electromagnetic field is a type of physical field that is created by the presence and movement of electrically charged particles. It is made up of two components: an electric field and a magnetic field.

How does an electromagnetic field affect molecules?

An electromagnetic field can interact with molecules by causing them to vibrate and rotate, which can result in changes in their energy levels and chemical bonds. This can have a significant impact on the properties and behavior of the molecule.

How is the strength of an electromagnetic field measured?

The strength of an electromagnetic field is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m) for the electric field and teslas (T) for the magnetic field. These measurements can be taken using specialized equipment such as a gaussmeter or a spectrum analyzer.

Can electromagnetic fields have harmful effects on molecules?

Yes, high levels of electromagnetic fields can cause damage to molecules by disrupting their structure and function. This can lead to health effects in living organisms and can also impact the stability and reactivity of molecules in industrial processes.

How can we protect molecules from the effects of electromagnetic fields?

There are several ways to protect molecules from the effects of electromagnetic fields, such as shielding the molecule with a material that can absorb or deflect the field, reducing the strength of the field, or changing the orientation of the molecule relative to the field. Ultimately, the best approach will depend on the specific situation and the type of molecule being protected.