Electromagnetic induction and Lenz's law

In summary, the conversation discusses Lenz's law and how it applies to changing the magnetic field around a solenoid. It is established that the direction of current will be opposite if the magnet is switched from the north pole to the south pole. The conversation also includes a humorous explanation of Lenz's law and how it relates to conserving energy.
kthouz
hi!
Actually am learning Lenz's law but am just getting confused.i know that the change of a magnetic field around a solenoid creates electricity. meaning that when we move the north pole of the magnet towards the end of the solenoid, the galvnometer deflects in one direction and when we move it away from the galvanometer, this one will deflect in the opposite direction.
Now my question is: we don't change the end of the solenoid but we change the magnet poles. Now if we use the south instead of the north, is the generated current in the same direction as the one generated in the first case? why?
thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Lenz's law states that current will flow in a direction to oppose the change in magnetic flux. Thus, if you switch the magnet around and instead move the south pole, the opposite will happen. (Moving towards the solenoid with the South pole will cause the opposite deflection as moving towards the solenoid did with the North end)

It's terrible the way I imagine personality in inanimate objects, but the way I have always used Lenz's law is -- The coil says to itself: "I want to make that magnet's job more difficult. What magnetic field would I have to create in order to repel the magnet that's moving toward me, or to attract the magnet that's moving away from me? After I have answered that, what direction of current would I need, in order to produce such a magnetic field?"

mikelepore said:
It's terrible the way I imagine personality in inanimate objects, but the way I have always used Lenz's law is -- The coil says to itself: "I want to make that magnet's job more difficult. What magnetic field would I have to create in order to repel the magnet that's moving toward me, or to attract the magnet that's moving away from me? After I have answered that, what direction of current would I need, in order to produce such a magnetic field?"
Wow what a cute imagination. Thank you a lot, i think i ll never be confused no more with this way of thinkin! Now i got it

It has to be difficult to move the magnet, regardless of which way you're moving it, because the magnet has to be required to overcome a force, so that it will have to do work in order to move. Then the work that the magnet does will be equal to the electrical energy that comes out of the coil. If you got electrical energy out, and the magnet didn't have to put work in, conservation of energy would be violated.

1. What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process by which a changing magnetic field induces an electric current in a conductor. It is the basis for many modern technologies, such as generators, transformers, and electric motors.

2. Who discovered electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction was discovered by Michael Faraday in the 1830s. He observed that when a magnet was moved inside a coil of wire, it produced an electric current in the wire.

3. What is Lenz's law?

Lenz's law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that states that the direction of an induced current will always oppose the change that produced it. This means that when a magnetic field is changing, the induced current will flow in a direction that creates a magnetic field that opposes the original change.

4. How does Lenz's law apply to electromagnetic induction?

Lenz's law explains the direction of the induced current in a conductor in relation to the changing magnetic field that is inducing it. It states that the induced current will always flow in a direction that opposes the change in the magnetic field, in accordance with the law of conservation of energy.

5. What are some practical applications of electromagnetic induction and Lenz's law?

Electromagnetic induction and Lenz's law are used in a wide range of practical applications, including generators, transformers, electric motors, and wireless charging. They are also used in induction cooktops, metal detectors, and MRI machines.