Electromagnetic Induction Help Requested

In summary, the experimenter finds that the output current is lower when the speed of the magnetic wheel is high and higher when the wheel is moving slower. They also find that the magnetic field changes more frequently when the wheel is moving faster.
erashish14
Hi Experts,

I'm doing an experiment of Electromagnetic Induction (producing current by changing magnetic field i.e. by circulating magnetic wheel of N52 Neodymium Magnets around copper coil),

but what i found

when the speed of wheel is HIGH, the Output Current is LOW (in range of .02 microAmp) &

when wheel is about to stop i.e. when its speed is LOW, the Output Current is HIGH (in range of .11 microAmp)

check the video once (),

Kindly suggest where I'm doing wrong or what i need to change in my experiment, because as per Faraday's law, more frequent change in magnetic field produces more current, but its not seen in my experimentKindly help

Thanks in Advance
Ashish
"Solar Roof on Roads with Rain Water Harvesting & Advertisements"
http://lightenmyways.blogspot.com/

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello Erashish, :welcome:

Two questions:
  1. Are the magnets oriented alternately north-south south-north etc ?
  2. Is the meter range set to AC current (and not DC current :smile:) ?

BvU said:
Hello Erashish, :welcome:

Two questions:
  1. Are the magnets oriented alternately north-south south-north etc ?
  2. Is the meter range set to AC current (and not DC current :smile:) ?
Hi BvU,

1. No magnets are not oriented alternately, they are aligned at same orientation i.e. North-North-North-North at the outer end of circle.
2. Meter is set to DC Current.

1. So does the magnetic field through the coil change very much from one magnet passing to the next ? Could that be improved ?
2. Change in the magnetic field causes induced emf. ##{ \varepsilon} = -{d\Phi\over dt}## or something . To get a DC current, ##\Phi## would have to grow linearly and that's not what you can produce !

So what you suggest, what changes i should do, to make the project working ?

1. What would cause more change in ##\Phi##: north north north etc. passing by or north south north south north ?
2. Try AC volt instead of DC current setting on the meter

In fact I had hoped that these suggestions would have been obvious from the comments I made ...

I will try your both suggestion & let u know the result soon,

Hi,

I tried putting multimeter at AC volts, but its showing zero reading, maybe because output voltage is too low, as output DC current was in microampere.

I tried with putting load (resistor) at the copper wire ends, to measure output voltage or current, but condition remains the same.

I also tried to put magnets close to each other with opposite polarity, but still condition is same.

Kindly suggest, if anything else i can do, to make experiment working properly.

Thanks in Advance
Ashish
http://lightenmyways.blogspot.com

Well, that was the best I could do. Only other thing I can think of is that the windings of the coil are short-circuited. Does the resistance of the coil correspond to the full length of the wire used ?
If you can find an analog ##\mu##A meter you could try that.

1. How does electromagnetic induction work?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of generating an electric current by moving a conductor through a magnetic field or by changing the magnetic field around a conductor. This movement or change in magnetic field creates a force that causes electrons to flow, generating an electric current.

2. What are some practical applications of electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction has many practical applications, including power generation in power plants, transformers, electric motors, and generators. It is also used in devices such as electric guitars, doorbells, and induction cooktops.

3. What factors affect the strength of the induced current?

The strength of the induced current is affected by the speed of the movement, the strength of the magnetic field, the angle between the conductor and the magnetic field, and the number of turns in the conductor. Additionally, the material and length of the conductor can also play a role in the strength of the induced current.

4. What is the difference between AC and DC current in terms of electromagnetic induction?

AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) refer to the direction of the flow of electrons in a circuit. In terms of electromagnetic induction, AC current is produced by changing the magnetic field, while DC current is produced by moving a conductor through a magnetic field.

5. How does Lenz's law relate to electromagnetic induction?

Lenz's law states that the direction of the induced current will always oppose the change in magnetic field that caused it. This means that if the magnetic field is increasing, the induced current will flow in a direction to try to decrease the magnetic field, and vice versa. Lenz's law is a fundamental principle of electromagnetic induction.