Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic Momentum and Energy

1. Apr 16, 2009 #1
    I've been presented with these concepts, and the first time i saw them i thought they were just mathematical mambo-jumbo, but of course i didn't gave much importance to these thoughts. I've been constructing an idea of these after seeing how they behave in different circumstances, but really, i just seem to make a sense out of them from the examples and not from the 'derivation' they gave me. they're quite strange concepts, and i just wanted you guys to throw me some facts about them to chew in a bit and give a sense of them :)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2009 #2
    Are you talking about radio waves, visible light, x-rays, photons, etc?

4. Apr 18, 2009 #3
    well, as far as i know, any EM field will have an energy associated with it. the expression for it would be
    (1/2)*[tex]\int E^2+B^2[/tex]
    This would be valid for any EM field, including light. the integral is taken over a certain volume, and you can get the energy density as the limit.

5. Apr 18, 2009 #4
    The equation you are writing relates to the stored energy density in a volume. It is the physics version of such electrical engineering equations as (1/2) L I2 and (1/2) C V2. The electromagnetic energy flow is given by the Poynting vector P = integral[E x H] dA, which relates to the electromagnetic power flowing across an area element dA.

6. Apr 18, 2009 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

These pages derive electromagnetic energy and momentum conservation from Maxwell's equations.

7. Apr 19, 2009 #6
    thanks. those links really helped :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook