Permanent Magnetic Dipole in an electromagnetic field

Aviax98
I've been trying really hard to calculate the forces between a permanent magnet that is within an electromagnetic field.
I have tried every formula under the sun, but it seems I am just not using the right ones, as my results always end up nonsensical.

To be clear, I am trying to understand the math behind a project like this one:
https://kevinlynagh.com/pcb-stepper/
However, the math here just doesn't look right. The OP seems to just drop off terms from the formulas and make strange jumps in their logic.

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction as to what formulas I would need to figure out the math behind a system like this? I don't even need it to be perfectly accurate, just an approximation would suffice.
Thanks all!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

It seems you are getting into linear induction or stepper motors.

First, you need to understand the history of linear motors and why they are difficult to design. There are not only horizontal forces along the plane, there are also vertical forces, that can stick the carriage to the track, or throw it up in the air.
A History of Linear Electric Motors. Eric R. Laithwaite. 1987.

Second, you need to understand the materials, do some field mapping, and then some calculations. Take a look at;
Linear Synchronous Motors: Transportation and Automation Systems. 2'nd Edn, 2012.
Jacek Gieras, Zbigniew J. Piech, and Bronislaw Tomczuk.

Hi Thanks for your reply and your suggestions!
I will have a read of those and see how I go.

1. How does a permanent magnetic dipole interact with an electromagnetic field?

A permanent magnetic dipole interacts with an electromagnetic field by experiencing a torque that aligns the dipole moment with the field. This alignment results in the dipole experiencing a potential energy that is dependent on the orientation of the dipole moment with respect to the field.

2. What is the significance of the magnetic dipole moment in an electromagnetic field?

The magnetic dipole moment in an electromagnetic field plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of magnetic materials. It influences the interaction between the material and the field, leading to phenomena such as magnetic induction and magnetic hysteresis.

3. How does the orientation of the magnetic dipole moment affect its interaction with an electromagnetic field?

The orientation of the magnetic dipole moment determines the torque experienced by the dipole in the electromagnetic field. When the dipole moment is aligned with the field, the dipole experiences minimum potential energy. In contrast, when the dipole moment is perpendicular to the field, the dipole experiences maximum potential energy.

4. Can a permanent magnetic dipole be affected by an external electromagnetic field?

Yes, a permanent magnetic dipole can be affected by an external electromagnetic field. The interaction between the dipole moment and the external field can result in the reorientation of the dipole moment to align with the field, leading to changes in the behavior of the magnetic material.

5. How does the strength of the permanent magnetic dipole affect its interaction with an electromagnetic field?

The strength of the permanent magnetic dipole, represented by the magnitude of its dipole moment, influences the intensity of the interaction with the electromagnetic field. A stronger dipole moment results in a greater torque and potential energy experienced by the dipole in the field, leading to more pronounced effects on the magnetic material.