Electromagnetic pickup/reluctor waveform

In summary, the conversation revolves around designing a pickup/reluctor that generates a specific waveform. The person is experimenting with different shapes of reluctor but the results are not as expected. They suspect that the impedance of the pickup coil may be dissipating too much power and that understanding the relationship between reluctor position and speed may help. They also suggest creating an LTSPICE model for the highest frequency to estimate parameter values.
mynode
I'm trying to design a pickup/reluctor that produces a specific waveform. I'm using an automotive ignition pickup and expermenting with different shapes of reluctor but the results I'm getting aren't making any sense.

The pickup/reluctor are of the familiar design with a pickup coil wound around a magnetic core and a ferrous reluctor moving past one end of the pickup core.

First of all, I expected peak voltage to increase as rpm increased, but it's not, at least not in the range I'm looking at. Could the problem be the the impedance of the pickup coil dissapating too much power above a certain level?

Secondly, it occurs to me that I might have better luck if I understood the underlying relationship between the reluctor position and speed and the change in magnetic flux in the pickup, but it's been too long since my college physics classes. Can anyone give me some hints or perhaps provide me with the basic equations to compute the change in flux?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It may simply be that you exceeded the bandwidth of the system, and impedances at those freuencies are just too high.

Could you make a LTSPICE model for the highest frequency and estimate the parameter values?

1. What is an electromagnetic pickup/reluctor waveform?

An electromagnetic pickup/reluctor waveform is a graphical representation of the voltage signal produced by an electromagnetic pickup or reluctor sensor. This type of sensor is commonly used to measure the speed or position of a rotating or moving object.

2. How does an electromagnetic pickup/reluctor sensor work?

An electromagnetic pickup/reluctor sensor works by generating an alternating current (AC) voltage signal when a magnetic field is present. This signal is then converted into a digital signal and used to determine the speed or position of the object being measured.

3. What is the purpose of analyzing an electromagnetic pickup/reluctor waveform?

The analysis of an electromagnetic pickup/reluctor waveform can provide valuable information about the performance and condition of the sensor, as well as the object being measured. It can also help identify any potential issues or abnormalities in the system.

4. What factors can affect the shape of an electromagnetic pickup/reluctor waveform?

The shape of an electromagnetic pickup/reluctor waveform can be affected by various factors such as the speed and direction of the object being measured, the distance between the sensor and the object, and any interference or noise present in the system.

5. How can an electromagnetic pickup/reluctor waveform be used in practical applications?

An electromagnetic pickup/reluctor waveform can be used in a variety of applications, including speed and position sensing in automotive and industrial systems, as well as for monitoring and controlling the movement of machinery and equipment. It can also be used for diagnostic purposes in troubleshooting any issues with the sensor or the system it is a part of.