Electromagnetic Waves and Induction

In summary, the magnetic flux through the loop is 6.3×10−5 when it is perpendicular to the solenoid and 3.14*10^-5 when it is tilted at a 60 angle.
jlmessick88

Homework Statement

The 2.0-cm-diameter solenoid in the figure passes through the center of a 6.0-cm-diameter loop. The magnetic field inside the solenoid is 0.20 T.
What is the magnetic flux through the loop when it is perpendicular to the solenoid?
Φ1 = Wb

What is the magnetic flux through the loop when it is tilted at a 60 angle?
Φ2 = Wb

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h148/jlmessick88/jfk_Figure_25_P08.jpg

Homework Equations

Φ = AB cos()

The Attempt at a Solution

? No idea :(

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the equation for calculating Φ. You have B. You have A. You have θ. What seems to be the trouble?

getting confused with what i should be doing with the solenoid and the loop...wouldn't one effect the other or am i supposed to be using both diameters

The question asks what the magnetic flux through the loop is. The loop does not have a magnetic field, so how could it affect the solenoid?

oh! ok that makes sense...
but for when it's tilted 60 degrees... it would be .01^2 * pi = 3.14*10^-4 *.2T = 6.28*10^-5 * cos(60) = 3.14 * 10^-5...but that's not the correct answer...i don't understand why...

The question asks what the magnetic flux through the loop is. The loop does not have a magnetic field, so how could it affect the solenoid?

EDIT:

cepheid said:
The question asks what the magnetic flux through the loop is.

What is the magnetic flux through the loop when it is perpendicular to the solenoid?
Express your answer using two significant figures.
=6.3×10−5
Correct
.01^2 * pi = 3.14*10^-4
3.14*10^-4 *.2 = 6.28*10^-5
6.28*10^-5 * cos(0) = 6.28*10^-5

so for the second part wouldn't i just use cos(60)??

jlmessick88 said:
Express your answer using two significant figures.
=6.3×10−5
Correct
.01^2 * pi = 3.14*10^-4

so for the second part wouldn't i just use cos(60)??

Yes, you just use flux=BAcos(60). I don't know why you're doing:

.01^2 * pi = 3.14*10^-4

but when i used BAcos(60), i get 3.14*10^-5, that's wrong...why??

Not really seeing why the answer is wrong. What does your book say?

i don't know what the answer is...it's just saying it's wrong...

Its the same answer for both.. even though I'm sure this is too late now

1. What are electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are a type of energy that can travel through space at the speed of light. They are created by the movement of electrically charged particles and consist of an electric field and a magnetic field oscillating at 90 degrees to each other.

2. How do electromagnetic waves differ from other types of waves?

Unlike mechanical waves, such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves do not require a medium to travel through. They can travel through a vacuum, such as outer space. Electromagnetic waves also have a much wider range of frequencies, from radio waves with long wavelengths to gamma rays with short wavelengths.

3. What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of generating an electric current in a conductor by exposing it to a changing magnetic field. This can occur through the movement of a magnet near a wire or by changing the strength of an electromagnet near a wire.

4. How is electromagnetic induction used in everyday life?

Electromagnetic induction is used in a variety of everyday devices, such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in wireless charging technology for electronic devices and in metal detectors.

5. What are the potential dangers of electromagnetic waves?

High levels of exposure to electromagnetic waves, such as those produced by X-rays or gamma rays, can be harmful to living organisms. However, the levels of exposure from everyday sources such as cell phones and power lines are not considered harmful to human health.