1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic Induction and Waves

1. Jul 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The figure shows a 10-cm-diameter loop in three different magnetic fields. The loop's resistance is 0.10 ohm.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h148/jlmessick88/jfk_Figure_P25_12.jpg

For case (a), what is the induced emf?
    ε = mV

For case (a), what is the induced current?
    I = mA

For case (a), what is the direction of the current?
    clockwise
    counterclockwise
    no current

2. Relevant equations

ε = |ΔΦ/Δt|
    Εcoil = N * |ΔΦpercoil /Δt|

3. The attempt at a solution
    No idea :(
    Any....ANY help would be great!
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2009 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You've given an equation for the induced emf in terms of the change of "Phi" with time. What physical quantity is Phi? Based on the answer to that question, how would you compute it?

4. Jul 2, 2009 #3
    that's where i was getting confused...i wasn't sure if there was some way i could solve for "phi" given the info...
    if that's not the correct equation then where do i begin??!?

5. Jul 2, 2009 #4

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I didn't say it wasn't the correct equation.

There is a way for you to solve for Φ using the given information. If you knew what Φ was, then you would have known that. So, answer my first question first please. What is Φ?

6. Jul 2, 2009 #5
    well i couldn't used the equation Φ= ABcos() b/c i don't have a magnetic field...
    i couldn't use ε = |ΔΦ/Δt| b/c even if i made it become ε = pi * r^2 |ΔB/Δt| b/c i still don't have a magnetic field

7. Jul 2, 2009 #6

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What you mean you don't have a magnetic field? A magnetic field is depicted in each of the three diagrams, and its rate of change is given.

8. Jul 2, 2009 #7
    oh!!! ok...so ...for the change in magnetic field and time, i would just create the change over some period of time determined by myself correct??

9. Jul 2, 2009 #8

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not really necessary. The rate of change for the leftmost case is given as half a tesla per second

So you know that if the time interval (change in elapsed time) is 1 s, then the change in magnetic field will be +0.5 T.

Can you see that this is a way of saying (in words) that:

ΔB = 0.5 T

Δt = 1 s

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook