How to Calculate Induced EMF in a Wire Loop Near a Solenoid

In summary, a solenoid has 500 turns per meter and cross-sectional area 4cm2. Current through it is increasing at 100A/s and flows in a clockwise direction. There is a wire loop, concentric with the solenoid which sits outside the solenoid. Given that the magnetic field inside the solenoid is B=μnI, find the magnitude and direction of the induced emf in the wire loop.
whatisreality

Homework Statement

A solenoid has 500 turns per meter and cross-sectional area 4cm2
Current through it is increasing at 100A/s and flows in a clockwise direction. There is a wire loop, concentric with the solenoid which sits outside the solenoid. Given that the magnetic field inside the solenoid is B=μnI, find the magnitude and direction of the induced emf in the wire loop.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that emf is given by Faraday's law of induction as -N dΦ/dt, Φ being magnetic flux. I don't know how to calculate the flux. I know equations for it, Φ=∫B.dl=μI, and I can't really get my head around what dl is! Or where the area has to do with it...

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have the wrong equation for magnetic flux. Flux is not defined by the line integral of the magnetic field. Magnetic flux is a measure of the amount of magnetic field that passes through a given surface/area. If the area of the Surface is a and the differential unit vector normal to the surface is [itex]d\vec{a}[/itex], then the flux, by definition, is

[tex]\Phi= \int \vec{B} \cdot d\vec{a}[/tex]

A good analogy here is that of a water pipe. The total "flux" of water passing through the pipe will depend on the total integrated flow of water through the crosssectional area of the pipe.If the magnetic field vectors through the surface is directed normal to that surface and constant in magnitude, the flux is given by:

[tex]\Phi= \int \vec{B} \cdot d\vec{A}= B*A [/tex]

Magnetic flux on hyperphysics: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/fluxmg.html

I thought that integral was always supposed to be zero...

whatisreality said:
I thought that integral was always supposed to be zero...

Through a closed surface, yes, the integral is zero. That is not necessarily the case for an open surface, like the area enclosed by the ring in this problem.

Oh, ok. I'm going based on a single closed loop of wire round the outside of the solenoid here, so my area would be given by the 4cm2 then. B and dA are parallel, so flux = BA = μnIA. I want change in flux and since only I is changing, will the change in flux over change in time just be 100μnA?

whatisreality said:
Oh, ok. I'm going based on a single closed loop of wire round the outside of the solenoid here, so my area would be given by the 4cm2 then. B and dA are parallel, so flux = BA = μnIA. I want change in flux and since only I is changing, will the change in flux over change in time just be 100μnA?

Yeah, you're on the right track. Remember [itex]\mu[/itex] and [itex]n[/itex] are not units but quantities that have specific values for the problem.

μ=IA, far as I can remember. As for the value of n, I'm not really sure! I would say one, because I assume my wire loop encloses just the one, but then why would 500 turn per metre be given?

whatisreality said:
μ=IA, far as I can remember. As for the value of n, I'm not really sure! I would say one, because I assume my wire loop encloses just the one, but then why would 500 turn per metre be given?

You're confusing terminology. Here, [itex]\mu[/itex] is the magnetic permeability of the medium inside the solenoid. It's safe to assume vacuum if a specific material is not given.

As for n: Remember that the single wire loop encircles the total magnetic field generated by the solenoid, which depends upon n, the turns per unit length of the solenoid.

It's μ0 then? Rather than magnetic moment, yes, on reflection of course that makes more sense! Sorry. ε=100μ0nA.

OK! I think you have a good understanding of this problem now. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for your help! :)

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that is tightly wound in a helix shape. It is often used to create a magnetic field.

2. How is a magnetic field induced by a solenoid?

A magnetic field is induced by a solenoid when an electric current flows through the coil. This creates a magnetic field that is stronger inside the solenoid and weaker outside of it.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field induced by a solenoid?

The strength of the magnetic field induced by a solenoid is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the current flowing through the coil, and the material of the core inside the solenoid.

4. What is the direction of the magnetic field induced by a solenoid?

The direction of the magnetic field induced by a solenoid can be determined using the right-hand rule. If you point your right thumb in the direction of the electric current flow, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

5. How is the field strength of a solenoid measured?

The field strength of a solenoid can be measured using a gaussmeter, which measures the strength of a magnetic field in gauss. Another method is to use a magnetometer, which measures the strength of a magnetic field in tesla.