Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electromagnetic waves radie antenna HELP

1. Feb 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A radio-frequency EM plane wave propagates in the +z-direction. A student finds that her portable radio obtains the best reception of the wave when the antenna is parallel to the x--y plane making an angle of 60 degrees with respect to the y-axis .
    (a) Consider an instant when the fields are non-zero at the location of the antenna.
    Draw and lable the direction of the electric field and the direction og the magnetic field.Explain
    (b)How would your answers to part a be different if the wave were propagating in the -z-direction.Explain

3. The attempt at a solution
    a) i drew the E field parallel to the antenna and the b field perpendiculat to it so that the oscillation will be at a max...is this right?
    b) i am unsure of what changes

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

I don't think anything changes if you reverse the direction between +z and -z.

The e and the h waves are still perpendicularly polarized with respect to the orientation of the antenna is my understanding.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook