1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic waves radie antenna HELP

1. Feb 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A radio-frequency EM plane wave propagates in the +z-direction. A student finds that her portable radio obtains the best reception of the wave when the antenna is parallel to the x--y plane making an angle of 60 degrees with respect to the y-axis .
    (a) Consider an instant when the fields are non-zero at the location of the antenna.
    Draw and lable the direction of the electric field and the direction og the magnetic field.Explain
    (b)How would your answers to part a be different if the wave were propagating in the -z-direction.Explain

3. The attempt at a solution
    a) i drew the E field parallel to the antenna and the b field perpendiculat to it so that the oscillation will be at a max...is this right?
    b) i am unsure of what changes
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2009 #2

Homework Helper

I don't think anything changes if you reverse the direction between +z and -z.

The e and the h waves are still perpendicularly polarized with respect to the orientation of the antenna is my understanding.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?