Electromagnetic waves radie antenna HELP

In summary, the best reception for a radio-frequency EM plane wave is achieved when the antenna is parallel to the x-y plane at a 60 degree angle with respect to the y-axis. When the fields are non-zero at the location of the antenna, the electric field is parallel to the antenna and the magnetic field is perpendicular to it. Reversing the direction of propagation does not change the orientation of the electric and magnetic fields with respect to the antenna.
MEAHH

Homework Statement

A radio-frequency EM plane wave propagates in the +z-direction. A student finds that her portable radio obtains the best reception of the wave when the antenna is parallel to the x--y plane making an angle of 60 degrees with respect to the y-axis .
(a) Consider an instant when the fields are non-zero at the location of the antenna.
Draw and lable the direction of the electric field and the direction og the magnetic field.Explain
(b)How would your answers to part a be different if the wave were propagating in the -z-direction.Explain

The Attempt at a Solution

a) i drew the E field parallel to the antenna and the b field perpendiculat to it so that the oscillation will be at a max...is this right?
b) i am unsure of what changes

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think anything changes if you reverse the direction between +z and -z.

The e and the h waves are still perpendicularly polarized with respect to the orientation of the antenna is my understanding.

would occur if the wave were propagating in the -z-direction.

I would like to clarify that the statement "Electromagnetic waves radie antenna HELP" is not a proper scientific statement. It is important to use accurate and clear language when discussing scientific concepts.

Now, for the given homework statement, let's address the two parts:

a) Yes, your drawing is correct. When the wave is propagating in the +z-direction, the electric field oscillates parallel to the antenna and the magnetic field oscillates perpendicular to it. This is because the electric field is always perpendicular to the direction of propagation, while the magnetic field is perpendicular to both the electric field and the direction of propagation. This is known as the right-hand rule.

b) If the wave were propagating in the -z-direction, the direction of the electric and magnetic fields would be reversed. This means that the electric field would be oscillating parallel to the antenna, while the magnetic field would be oscillating perpendicular to it. This is because the direction of propagation determines the direction of the fields, according to the right-hand rule. So, in this case, the antenna would need to be oriented perpendicular to the x-y plane (making an angle of 30 degrees with respect to the y-axis) to obtain the best reception.

In summary, the direction of the fields is determined by the direction of propagation, and the orientation of the antenna should be adjusted accordingly to obtain the best reception.

1. How do electromagnetic waves work?

Electromagnetic waves, also known as radio waves, are created when an alternating current flows through an antenna. This current creates a magnetic field, which in turn creates an electric field. These fields oscillate at a certain frequency and travel through space as waves, carrying energy and information.

2. How are electromagnetic waves used in antennas?

Antennas are designed to efficiently transmit and receive electromagnetic waves. They work by converting electrical signals into radio waves, which then travel through the air and are received by another antenna. The antenna then converts the radio waves back into electrical signals.

3. What is the purpose of a radie antenna?

A radie antenna, also known as a radiation pattern antenna, is designed to radiate electromagnetic waves in a specific direction. This allows for more efficient communication and reduces interference from unwanted signals.

4. How do I choose the right antenna for my needs?

The type of antenna you need depends on various factors such as the frequency of the signal, the distance you need to transmit, and any potential obstacles. It is important to consult with an expert or do thorough research to determine the best antenna for your specific needs.

5. How do I troubleshoot antenna problems?

If you are experiencing issues with your antenna, the first step is to check all connections and make sure they are secure. You may also need to adjust the antenna's position or direction. If problems persist, it is best to consult with a professional to identify and resolve the issue.