Direction of Electric Field in an Electromagnetic Wave

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
spaghetti3451
Messages
1,311
Reaction score
31

Homework Statement



If the magnetic field of a light wave oscillates parallel to a y axis and is given by ##B_y = B_m\ sin(kz- \omega t)##,

(a) in what direction does the wave travel and

(b) parallel to which axis does the associated electric field oscillate?

Homework Equations



The Attempt at a Solution



(a) The wave is propagating in the ##+ z##-direction because the form of the argument in the sinusoidal function.

(b) I'm having problem here.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I figured it out. :D

If the direction of propagation is given by ##\overrightarrow(E) \times \overrightarrow(B)##, then shouldn't the direction of the electric field be in the ##+ x##-direction.
 
That's the one - well done.
Just remember that the E and B fields are perpendicular.

LaTeX note: use curly brackets to enclose what you operate on, but not needed if there is only on letter following the command.
Thus \vec E \times \vec B gets you ##\vec E \times \vec B##