Electromagnetism and Light Questions

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions related to the Sun's mass and the speed of light. The first question asks if the Sun's mass decreases due to its radiating electromagnetic waves, to which the response is that the Sun's mass decreases when it fuses lighter elements into heavier elements. The second question asks if the speed of light changes as it travels away from the surface of the Earth, ignoring the Earth's atmosphere. The answer is no, as the speed of light in a vacuum is always constant. However, the Earth's gravity can affect the wavelength of light, causing it to redshift.
appplejack
Hello,
I want to know the right answers to these questions.
I will try to state my answers but I want to know if they are right or wrong.
Thanks.

Homework Statement

1.Does the Sun's mass decrease due to its radiating electromagnetic waves?
2.Does the speed of a light beam change as it travels away from the surface of the Earth? Ignore the Earth's atmosphere.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1.The sun gives off radiation and energy. Hence yes. (I'm not quite sure but that's the best answer I could come up with)
2.No, light has no mass. If the Earth's atmosphere is ignored. It wouldn't make any difference in the outer space.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. The sun's mass decreases when it fuses lighter elements into heavier elements (and thus giving off radiation). I think it's on the order of 0,4% of the mass that gets converted into energy when 2 hydrogen fuses to helium, but don't quote me on it,

2. if the Earth's atmosphere is ignored then no, the speed of light in a vacuum is always the same, C. The Earth's gravity would however redshift the wavelength of the light.

Thanks hells

For #2. How does the gravity affect the wavelength of the light? Does that mean a bending of the light?

Last edited:

FAQ: Electromagnetism and Light Questions

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a fundamental force of nature that describes the relationship between electricity and magnetism. It explains how charged particles interact with each other and with magnetic fields.

2. What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all possible frequencies of electromagnetic radiation, from low-frequency radio waves to high-frequency gamma rays. This includes visible light, which is the only portion that is visible to the human eye.

3. How do magnets create electricity?

When a magnet moves through a coil of wire, it creates a changing magnetic field which induces an electric current in the wire. This process is known as electromagnetic induction and is the basis for how generators and electric motors work.

4. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. This is a constant value and is a fundamental constant in the field of physics.

5. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is the phenomenon where certain materials emit electrons when exposed to light. This is due to the energy of the light being absorbed by the electrons, causing them to gain enough energy to be released from the material. This effect is used in devices such as solar panels and photodiodes.