1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetism, calculation of B

1. Jun 1, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A very big iron plate with the thickness 2h have, far from the plates edges, had a hole with the radius a drilled through it. With respect to the holes axis of symmetry the plate has a magnetization

[tex]\bar{M} = M_0 \frac{a}{s} \hat{s}[/tex]

where s is the distance from the axis of symmetry.

In the hole, centered around the axis there is a small circular conductor with the current I with radius b << a.

Find the force on the conductor.

3. The attempt at a solution

I went ahead and found the bound charges which proved to be only on the top and bottom surfaces which proved to be

[tex]\bar{K} = M_0 \frac{a}{s} -\hat{\phi}[/tex] for the upper surface and the same in the reversed direction for the lower.

Now with simply the right hand rule I concluded that the only B which will give a net force is the one in the s direction (giving a force in the z direction). The force from phi disappears in the cross product of biot savart, the force from z disappears due to symmetry. Then using with the knowledge that the only force that matters is the z component of the force:

[tex]\bar{F} = \Delta(\bar{m} \cdot \bar{B}) = \bar{m} \cdot \frac {d \bar{B}}{dz}\hat{z}[/tex]

So I get that due to m being dotted with B only the z component survives of B, but I also concluded that the z component of B would not give a net force. Yet it ends up being the only one that gives a net force? There's something I'm misunderstanding 100% here.

and seems my tophats aren't working, but they're the unit vectors

Attached Files:

• hole.png
      hole.png
      File size:
      6.9 KB
      Views:
    • B.png
      B.png
      File size:
      20.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2014 #2
    For hats use \hat instead of \^.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  4. Jun 1, 2014 #3
    That worked, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted