Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetism & Higgs Boson

1. Jul 5, 2012 #1
    I wanna get caught up in this discovery and of course it would more "legitimate" if I better understood what the standard model is.

So I'll ask some slightly random "Yes/No" questions.

Are the "Gauge Bosons/Force Carriers" that have mass "supposed to be" mass-less? But from observation/experiments/math it's "seen" they have a mass. Is this where the Higgs boson (or field?) comes in?

A fully charged battery has more mass than a fully discharged battery. Is that mass attributable to the Higgs Boson?

Is the Higgs Boson why an electron has a mass?

Unless you think it would help me, just yes/no answers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2012 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

An electron has a mass because the Higgs FIELD exists AND (...)

No one knows why the electron has a mass, or why its mass has the value it has. But it is clear that if the Higgs field did not exist, the electron would be massless.

4. Jul 5, 2012 #3
    Cool stuff!

Thanks for that reply Bill.

Exactly the depth I was looking for. Maybe down the road those why questions will be answered.

5. Jul 5, 2012 #4
    With qualifications: yes.

With qualifications: no.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook