Electromagnetism linear charge density question

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two rods with different lengths and charges per unit length. The solution involves finding the charges per unit length for each rod individually and then averaging them for both rods. The results are checked for different scenarios where l1 approaches 0 and when l1 equals l2. The problem could have been worded differently to make it more interesting.
Liquidxlax

Homework Statement

Two rods, of lengths l1 and l2, have charges q1 and q2

a)Find the charges per unit length for each rod individually.
b)Find the charge per unit length, averaged over both rods.
c)Check your result for l1 approaching 0
d)Check your result for l1=l2

Homework Equations

q = integral dq = integral lamda(ds) = lamda integral ds = lamda(l)

avg lamda equvilant to q/l equals lamda(l)/(l) = lamda (for uniform charge)

if you know ^^^ then nonuniformly charged is pretty simple to know (integral (x= 0-l) cxdx)

The Attempt at a Solution

i'm not really having trouble with this problem, its that I'm not sure how much work it requires since I'm given bare bones to work with and questions surrounding this one, had integrals and charges on spheres annulus cylinders and what have you.

If i assume it is as easy as it looks

a) lamda1 = q1/l1 and lamda2 = q2/l2

b) lamda3 = (q1+q2)/(l1+l2)

c) lamda4 = (q1+q2)/(0+l2)

d) lamda5 = (q1+q2)/(2l)

so do you think it is that simple?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your attempted solution seems correct to me.

Perhaps it is a poorly worded problem (solvable yes, but just not very interesting). On the other hand, if it was worded slightly differently such as something like

...Two rods, of lengths l1 and l2, have charge densities λ1 and λ2.

...a) Find the total charge for each rod individually.
...b) Find the total charge, averaged over both rods.
...c) Check your result for l1 approaching 0
...d) Check your result for l1 = l2

it would have made a more interesting problem.

collinsmark said:
Your attempted solution seems correct to me.

Perhaps it is a poorly worded problem (solvable yes, but just not very interesting). On the other hand, if it was worded slightly differently such as something like

...Two rods, of lengths l1 and l2, have charge densities λ1 and λ2.

...a) Find the total charge for each rod individually.
...b) Find the total charge, averaged over both rods.
...c) Check your result for l1 approaching 0
...d) Check your result for l1 = l2

it would have made a more interesting problem.

lol, that would make it much more understandable to myself, well i talked to my prof and he said it was an easy mark. So i did the easy assumable answer

1. What is linear charge density in electromagnetism?

Linear charge density in electromagnetism refers to the distribution of electric charge along a one-dimensional line. It is measured in units of charge per unit length, such as coulombs per meter (C/m).

2. How is linear charge density calculated?

Linear charge density is calculated by dividing the total charge along a line by the length of that line. For example, if a wire with a total charge of 4 coulombs is 2 meters long, the linear charge density would be 2 C/m.

3. What is the relationship between linear charge density and electric field?

Linear charge density is directly proportional to the electric field intensity. This means that as the linear charge density increases, the electric field will also increase. This relationship is described by the equation E=λ/2πεr, where λ is the linear charge density, ε is the permittivity of the medium, and r is the distance from the line of charge.

4. How does linear charge density affect the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field is determined by the magnitude of the linear charge density. A higher linear charge density will result in a stronger electric field and vice versa.

5. Can linear charge density be negative?

Yes, linear charge density can be negative. This means that the charge is distributed in a direction opposite to the direction of the line. It is important to consider the direction of the charge when calculating the electric field and other related quantities.