Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetism question (specifically receivers)

1. Jan 26, 2016 #1
    I have trouble understanding how a receiver doesn't get bombarded with frequencies... and exactly how does a receiver only "accept" certain frequencies?

I understand if you send energy(or electricity) through a copper wire (and other types of metals) it makes a frequency with certain hertz (correct me if im wrong please)

I might be completely interpreting everything I just said wrong but hopefully it makes sense.

thank you for taking the time to read and reply to me

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2016 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you stick a wire up in the air, all the passing Radio Frequency signals will add up to induce a small voltage to appear at the output lead. The function of a Radio Receiver is that it filters out all those signals that it doeans't want and only amplifies the band of frequencies that the wanted signal occupies. When you 'tune' a receiver, you are adjusting the filter frequency so you pick up only the signal you want. It is always possible that there will be interference in the wanted channel when there is another station on the same frequency.

4. Jan 26, 2016 #3
    Thank you again for taking the time to reply to me sophie I really appreciate it. I will try to read more about this I still dont quite understand but if I ever have more questions I will come back to this thread!

5. Jan 26, 2016 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

6. Jan 26, 2016 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

not quite

The copper wire is just that, a bit of wire.
    it's the AC/RF generator attached to the wire, that is supplying the energy at a specific frequency

7. Jan 27, 2016 #6

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Or the EM fields of the waves in the vicinity of the wire.

8. Jan 27, 2016 #7

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yup, for the receive situation

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook