Electromagnetism: Trouble understanding the D field

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the electric displacement field (D) in finding the electric field (E) inside a dielectric and a cavity within a dielectric. The textbook being used (Wangsness) is not very clear on the purpose of the displacement field. The conversation also mentions that the surface charge distribution is proportional to the electric displacement field, making it useful in solving problems where the surface charge is known. However, the use of dielectrics in parallel can alter the surface charge distribution, making the method not applicable. The conversation ends with a question about the surface charge density and its relationship to the electric displacement field.
BeBattey
I've just finished my first term in an undergrad electromagnetism course using Wangsness as a textbook and we ended on the displacement field.

I feel like Wangsness doesn't give a very good explanation of what the whole point of it actually is, and I still don't quite understand how to use it to find the e field inside both a dielectric and a cavity within a dielectric.

If I could get a quick and easy explanation or a point in the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi BeBattey! :smile:

The electric displacement field (D, measured in coulombs per square metre) is helpful if you know the surface charge distribution (because it's proportional to it).

So if you know the surface charge distribution, that gives you D, and you can immediately find E for different dielectric fillings, provided inserting the dielectric does not alter the surface charge distribution.

So it works eg for a parallel plate capacitor with dielectrics in series (and with edges parallel to the plates), but not for dielectrics in parallel (because the surface charge distribution will change).

Thanks for the response!

So the surface charge density you're talking about, is that the bound charge mentioned in the textbook? I know the bound surface charge is P dot n-hat, given the polarization of a dielectric, is this what you mean about the proportionality?

Hi BeBattey! :smile:

I was really thinking about those exam questions where you know the surface charge, either because the question specifically tells you, or because eg it's a sphere and you can use gauss, or it's a capacitor and you know C V and A (area), so you can find σ = Q/A (and D = σñ).

Dear student,

Electromagnetism is a complex and fascinating subject, and it is completely normal to have trouble understanding certain concepts, such as the displacement field (D field). The D field is an important concept in electromagnetism as it helps us understand the behavior of electric fields inside dielectric materials and within cavities in dielectric materials.

To put it simply, the D field is a measure of the amount of electric flux passing through a given area. It is related to the electric field (E field) by the equation D = εE, where ε is the permittivity of the material. This means that the D field is directly proportional to the electric field, but it also takes into account the properties of the material it is passing through.

To use the D field to find the E field inside a dielectric or a cavity within a dielectric, you can use the following steps:

1. Determine the permittivity (ε) of the material.
2. Use the equation D = εE to calculate the D field.
3. Use the boundary conditions for electric fields to relate the D field to the E field at the interface between the different materials.
4. Use the D field to calculate the E field inside the dielectric or the cavity.

I would also recommend seeking additional resources, such as online tutorials or practice problems, to help you gain a better understanding of the D field and its applications. Don't be afraid to ask your professor or peers for help as well. With patience and practice, I am confident that you will gain a better understanding of the D field and its role in electromagnetism. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the D field in electromagnetism?

The D field, also known as the electric displacement field, represents the electric flux density or the amount of electric flux passing through a unit area. It is defined as the sum of the free and bound charge densities in a medium.

2. How does the D field differ from the E field?

The E field, or electric field, is defined as the force per unit charge acting on a test charge in an electric field. It is related to the D field through the permittivity of the medium, which takes into account the effects of polarization and bound charges in the material.

3. What is the role of the D field in electromagnetism?

The D field plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of electric fields in different materials. It helps in calculating the electric flux and electric field strength in materials with varying permittivity. It also helps in understanding the propagation of electromagnetic waves through different media.

4. Why is it important to understand the D field?

Understanding the D field is essential in various branches of science and engineering, such as electronics, telecommunications, and material science. It is also crucial in understanding the behavior of electric fields in biological systems and in the design of electronic circuits and devices.

5. How can I better understand the D field in electromagnetism?

To better understand the D field, it is essential to have a good understanding of vector calculus and Maxwell's equations. It is also helpful to visualize the D field using diagrams and simulations. Consulting textbooks and seeking guidance from experts can also aid in understanding the D field in electromagnetism.