1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron Affinity/Ionization Energy

1. Feb 8, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(c) the ionization energy of Cl-

(e) the electron affinity of Cl+

Ionization Energy Chart

I(sub1) I(sub2) I(sub3) I(sub4) I(sub5)

Cl 1255 2295 3850 5160 6560

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

At first when I saw the Cl-, I thought maybe they added an extra electron to become Ar and I used the Ionization Energy (I sub1) for Ar but it wasn't right...:frown:

I was wondering if there are any difference between getting the Ionization Energy of Cl+ and Cl? I mean the book gave me the chart of I (sub1) to I (sub7) of Cl but nothing about the ions of Cl. Is there an equation or anyway where you could figure out the energy? (same question regarding electron affinity)

Yay! First post!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To change from one element to another, you need to actually change the number of protons in the nucleus. Just moving around electrons will not achieve this.

Yes, there is.

You need to go back to the definitions. How is the second ionization energy, I2(Cl) defined? The answer is right there in that definition.

Yes, it follows directly from the definition I asked about above.

Welcome to PF!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?