Electron Affinity/Ionization Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the ionization energy and electron affinity of Cl- and Cl+. The Ionization Energy Chart is referenced and it is mentioned that the book does not provide information about the ions of Cl. The conversation also touches on the definitions of ionization energy and the possibility of using an equation to calculate the energy.
Dameaning

Homework Statement

(c) the ionization energy of Cl-
_________kJ/mol

(e) the electron affinity of Cl+
_________kJ/mol

Ionization Energy Chart

I(sub1) I(sub2) I(sub3) I(sub4) I(sub5)

Cl 1255 2295 3850 5160 6560

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

At first when I saw the Cl-, I thought maybe they added an extra electron to become Ar and I used the Ionization Energy (I sub1) for Ar but it wasn't right...:frown:

I was wondering if there are any difference between getting the Ionization Energy of Cl+ and Cl? I mean the book gave me the chart of I (sub1) to I (sub7) of Cl but nothing about the ions of Cl. Is there an equation or anyway where you could figure out the energy? (same question regarding electron affinity)

P.S.
Yay! First post!

Physics news on Phys.org
Dameaning said:

The Attempt at a Solution

At first when I saw the Cl-, I thought maybe they added an extra electron to become Ar and I used the Ionization Energy (I sub1) for Ar but it wasn't right...:frown:
To change from one element to another, you need to actually change the number of protons in the nucleus. Just moving around electrons will not achieve this.

I was wondering if there are any difference between getting the Ionization Energy of Cl+ and Cl?
Yes, there is.

I mean the book gave me the chart of I (sub1) to I (sub7) of Cl but nothing about the ions of Cl.
You need to go back to the definitions. How is the second ionization energy, I2(Cl) defined? The answer is right there in that definition.

Is there an equation or anyway where you could figure out the energy? (same question regarding electron affinity)
Yes, it follows directly from the definition I asked about above.

P.S.
Yay! First post!
Welcome to PF!

Hello,

I can provide some guidance on how to approach this problem. First, let's define what ionization energy and electron affinity are.

Ionization energy is the energy required to remove an electron from an atom or ion in its ground state. This can be represented by the equation:

X(g) → X+(g) + e-

Where X represents the atom or ion and e- represents the removed electron. The ionization energy is typically measured in kJ/mol.

Electron affinity, on the other hand, is the energy released when an electron is added to an atom or ion in its ground state. This can be represented by the equation:

X(g) + e- → X-(g)

Where X represents the atom or ion and e- represents the added electron. The electron affinity is also typically measured in kJ/mol.

Now, let's address the specific problem at hand. The ionization energy of Cl- is the energy required to remove an electron from a chlorine ion that already has a negative charge. This means that the equation would look like this:

Cl-(g) → Cl2-(g) + e-

Since we are starting with a Cl- ion, we need to remove one more electron to get to Cl2-. Looking at the chart, we can see that the ionization energy for Cl2- is 2295 kJ/mol. Therefore, the ionization energy for Cl- would be the same, 2295 kJ/mol.

For the electron affinity of Cl+, we need to add an electron to a chlorine atom that already has a positive charge. This means that the equation would look like this:

Cl+(g) + e- → Cl(g)

Again, looking at the chart, we can see that the electron affinity for Cl is 1255 kJ/mol. Therefore, the electron affinity for Cl+ would be the same, 1255 kJ/mol.

I hope this helps you understand how to approach this type of problem. Keep in mind that ionization energy and electron affinity can vary depending on the specific atom or ion, so it's important to pay attention to the given information and use the correct values in your calculations. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is electron affinity?

Electron affinity is the ability of an atom or molecule to attract and hold onto electrons.

2. How is electron affinity measured?

Electron affinity is measured in units of energy, typically in electron volts (eV) or kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol).

3. What factors affect electron affinity?

Factors that affect electron affinity include the atomic number and size of the atom, the number of electron shells, and the effective nuclear charge.

4. What is the relationship between electron affinity and ionization energy?

Electron affinity and ionization energy are inversely related. As electron affinity increases, ionization energy decreases, and vice versa.

5. How does electron affinity impact the chemical properties of an element?

The electron affinity of an element can impact its reactivity, as elements with higher electron affinity are more likely to form negative ions and bond with other elements. It can also affect the element's ability to conduct electricity and its overall stability.