Ionization and electron affinity

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding the concepts of Ionization energy and electron affinity. It is explained that the energy required to add an electron to a neutra gas atom and remove an electron from an anion are of equal value but opposite signs. The importance of being aware of which convention is used in data tables is emphasized. It is then clarified that in the case of anions, the ionization energy can be negative. The conversation concludes with a summary of the definitions of electron affinity and ionization energy.
harman90
I am confused about Ionization and electron affinity concept

If energy is Required to add the electron to gaseous atom (Electron affinity - in case of noble gases) Then why further energy is required to Remove it? (Ionization energy)
isnt this violation of Conservation of energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
The energy for the addition of an electron to a neutra gas atom and that for the removal of an electron from an anion are of equal absolute value but opposite sign.
However there is much confusion as the tabulated electron affinity often refers to the second formulation, i.e. the energy required to remove an electron from an anion.
So you must be very careful about which convention is used in the table of data you are consulting.

sorry My question is : (leaving the sign conventions aside)
If energy is Required to add the electron to gaseous atom (Electron affinity) Then why further energy is required to Remove it? ( infact it should release the energy)

harman90 said:
sorry My question is : (leaving the sign conventions aside)
If energy is Required to add the electron to gaseous atom (Electron affinity) Then why further energy is required to Remove it? ( infact it should release the energy)
You are completely right. Who claimed the opposite?

Thank you for reply.
Well, it is well known fact that Ionization energy (second case) is always positive I.e Energy is required to Remove the electron.

(electron gain enthalpy can be negative or positive, but Ionization enthalpy is always positive)

That's only true for the ionization of neutral atoms, not for the ionization of anions.

So it means , In case anions, IE is negative ?

I can't find any link favouring that statement ? Can you give me any source ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionization_energy
sais
"The ionization energy (IE), (or "ionization potential" - not recommended),[1] is qualitatively defined as the amount of energy required to remove an electron from an atom or molecule in the gaseous state."
So the term ionization energy usually refers to the ionization of a neutral atom or molecule, not an anion. This is also what I remember.

2nd Ionization enthalpy... is actually removing electron from the ION.

infact all the successive Ionization energies are for Removing electrons from Ions.

Last edited:
That's why they are explicitly called second IEs.

Likes harman90
If X is neutral :

X + e- + E.A. -----> X- : E.A. is the electron affinity.
X+ I. E. ---> X+ + e- : I.E. Ionization energy
X+ + 2nd I.E. -----> X2+ + e-

Thank you very much ... It makes sense now.

1. What is ionization?

Ionization is the process by which an atom or molecule gains or loses electrons, resulting in a change in its electrical charge.

2. How does ionization occur?

Ionization can occur through various methods such as exposure to high energy radiation, collisions with other particles, or through the use of electric fields.

3. What is electron affinity?

Electron affinity is the measure of an atom's or molecule's tendency to attract and hold onto electrons. It is the energy released when an electron is added to a neutral atom or molecule.

4. How is electron affinity related to ionization?

Electron affinity and ionization are related as they both involve the gain or loss of electrons by an atom or molecule. Ionization involves the removal of an electron, while electron affinity involves the addition of an electron.

5. What factors affect ionization and electron affinity?

The factors that affect ionization and electron affinity include the atomic or molecular structure, the size and charge of the atom or molecule, and the presence of other atoms or molecules that may influence the attraction and stability of electrons.