Electron Drift Velocity problem

In summary: The electron drift velocity is related to the electric field. The Fermian energy is responsible for the electron's velocity.
himanshushanka
Following are the text from an Electrical Engineering Textbook.

"it is seen that contrary to the common but mistaken view,

1. the electron drift velocity is rather very slow
2. is independent of the current flowing
3. independent of the area of the conductor"

first point can be explained by following example,

Assuming a normal current density J= 1.55 x 10^6 A/m^2, n=10^29 for copper conductor and e= 1.6 x 10^-19 coulomb, current density is given by,

J= n.e.v ampere/meter^2, where n is electron density per m^3, e is electron charge and v is drift velocity
we get v=.58 cm/min

However regarding point 2 and 3 above, I am not able to come to any concrete logic.

An enlightenment regarding above two point is highly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Dear Jim,

I read the article now. it describes the drift velocity is very low.

As you say, logically, point 2 and 3 seems to be incorrect.

Using the basic treatment of the subject, the electron drift velocity is related to the electric field.
[itex]\mathbf{v}_d = \mu \mathbf{E}[/itex]

[itex] \mu [/itex], the electron mobility, is roughly constant for low fields, and depends on the material.

We also have that for an Ohmic material current density is related to the electric field.

[itex]\mathbf{J}= \sigma \mathbf{E}[/itex]

So we can put these two together and find that the drift velocity clearly does depend on the current [density]. However based on this it's not apparent that the drift velocity depends on the cross sectional area of the conductor (for DC current at least). If it did, the current wouldn't scale linearly with cross sectional area.

Last edited:
Very good !

velocity is proportional to electric field

Folks accustomed to thinking circuits might logically maintain that for a given current ,
electron drift velocity depends on area

if you halve the area , you'll have to double field to keep current the same.

Thank you Mr Ohm and Mr X.

maybe we need to know what pre-conditions the author established in paragraphs leading up to those statements.

jim hardy said:
I think 2 and 3 are incorrect.

Have you tried a search on 'electron drift velocity? I saw a good page over at hyperphysics...

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/miccur.html

MisterX said:
Using the basic treatment of the subject, the electron drift velocity is related to the electric field.
[itex]\mathbf{v}_d = \mu \mathbf{E}[/itex]

[itex] \mu [/itex], the electron mobility, is roughly constant for low fields, and depends on the material.

We also have that for an Ohmic material current density is related to the electric field.

[itex]\mathbf{J}= \sigma \mathbf{E}[/itex]

So we can put these two together and find that the drift velocity clearly does depend on the current [density]. However based on this it's not apparent that the drift velocity depends on the cross sectional area of the conductor (for DC current at least). If it did, the current wouldn't scale linearly with cross sectional area.

Yep. The hyperphysics link shows this; Microscopic View of Ohm's Law

The Fermi energy is responsible for the electron's velocity.
In metals, the Fermi energy gives us information about the velocities of the electrons which participate in ordinary electrical conduction. The amount of energy which can be given to an electron in such conduction processes is on the order of micro-electron volts (see copper wire example), so only those electrons very close to the Fermi energy can participate.

Thank you Don ! I have wondered for decades where there was a common sense explanation of this.
Your link made the connection for me.

So there IS a direct analogy with Brownian motion of fluid molecules in a pipe or river:
Individual molecules clatter around with great velocity related to their thermal energy
but the bulk flow velocity is much lower.

micohm.gif
Your link should help a LOT with the ongoing difficulty between electron flow and (positive or negative) current flow.
I was really lucky to have that concept imprinted clearly by an excellent high school electronics teacher. He pointed out the wire will melt well before drift approaches an inch per second.

Your link paints a great picture.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/ohmmic.html#c1

If I use this analogy in explaining basics , will call it "Fermian Motion" .
I need to familiarize myself with the calculations in that link.
It is not yet clear why Fermi energy in copper is 7ev, must be a property of the metal ?
Thermal neutrons are about 1/40th ev. I'm just a plodder.

thanks - old jim

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of electron drift velocity?

Electron drift velocity is the average velocity at which electrons travel through a conducting material under the influence of an electric field. It is a measure of the speed at which electrons move in a particular direction in a material.

2. How is electron drift velocity calculated?

Electron drift velocity is calculated by dividing the electric current by the cross-sectional area of the conductor and the number of electrons per unit volume of the conductor. It can also be calculated by multiplying the electron mobility by the applied electric field.

3. What is the significance of electron drift velocity?

The electron drift velocity is important in understanding the behavior of electric current in a conducting material. It helps in determining the flow of electrons and the rate of energy transfer in a circuit.

4. Does the electron drift velocity vary in different materials?

Yes, the electron drift velocity can vary depending on the material, its physical properties, and the strength of the applied electric field. Materials with higher electron mobility will have a higher drift velocity compared to those with lower electron mobility.

5. How does temperature affect electron drift velocity?

Temperature can affect electron drift velocity by increasing or decreasing the thermal energy of the particles in the material. This, in turn, can affect the electron mobility and therefore the drift velocity. In most cases, an increase in temperature leads to an increase in electron drift velocity.