1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron Drift Velocity in Semiconductors

1. Apr 1, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "The low [electron] density of a semiconductor means that the conduction electrons travel much faster than they do in conductors."

In order to fully understand this, I feel that I need to know why this occurs.

2. Relevant equations
    I = nAve

Where:
    I = current
    n = electron density
    v = average drift velocity
    e = charge on one electron

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that, mathematically, the electrons need to travel faster in order for the current to be maintained, since current is flow of charge per unit time. I understand from the equation why this is the case, and the numbers make sense. However, I can't understand why the electrons would move faster just because there are fewer of them, and why the current doesn't just fall when a semiconductor is inserted into a circuit.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2015 #2
    Totally guessing here, but perhaps you have the same amount of EMF distributed among fewer electrons, resulting in a higher speed for each electron?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted