Electron in circular motion in B field problem check

In summary, the conversation discusses an electron in a circular orbit in the xy-plane with a uniform magnetic field in the positive z direction. The questions ask for the radius of the orbit, the angular frequency, and the current produced by the lone electron. The conversation also includes equations for centripetal force, magnetic field, and current, as well as a discussion on working in CGS units. The conversation concludes with a clarification that the magnetic field is the cause of the centripetal force and a question on the current being asked for.
nissanztt90

Homework Statement

An electron of mass Me, with charge -e, is in a circular orbit in the xy-plane. There is a uniform magnetic field B in the positive z direction. It is moving at constant velocity V.

Working in CGS units...

Find R in terms of Me, -e, v, and B

Find the angular frequency [tex]\omega[/tex].

Find the current I with the given parameters.

Homework Equations

F= (2IqV)/(rc2)

B= (2I)/(rc)

And i believe F = mv2/r = mr[tex]\omega[/tex] ?

The Attempt at a Solution

My thought was to solve B= (2I)/(rc) for I, and substitute that quantity for the I in F= (2IqV)/(rc2) to get F = (B(-e)v)/c, and set that equal to the centripetal force mv2/r.

Through that subsitution i found r = Mevc / B(-e)

For the angular frequency i solved mv2/r = mr[tex]\omega[/tex] for r=v[tex]\omega[/tex], substituded that into the equation for radius, and solved for [tex]\omega[/tex] = B(-e) / Mec

For the current, i used I = Brc/2, and substituted the value i found for r into this equation, for I = Mevc2 / -e

I am somewhat confused, because i thought both the force on the moving electron and the centripetal force pointed in. Any guidance and/or clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Centripetal force mv^2/r = mω^2/r

Whoops. Actually its F = mv2/r = mrw^2, though r = vw is still correct.

Yes.
And there is only one force is acting on the election. The same force can be expressed in two different ways.

So the magnetic field is the cause of the centripetal force?

Yes, it is.

Great, thanks! So my analysis is correct?

Maybe I'm being dense today, but I don't understand the analysis. Where did you get F= (2IqV)/(rc^2) and B= (2I)/(rc)? What does the "c" mean? The "standard" equation for F is qvB. This, along with F=mv^2/r and mw^2r, should be enough to answer the first and second questions. As for the third question, what current is it asking for? Is it the current produced by the lone electron going around in circles?

The F equation i used is for a test charge, in CGS units. "c" stands for the speed of light in this case. The B equation is the magnetic field this moving test charge produces.

So far as i can understand, u0, the permeability of free space, = (4*pi) / c, if that helps. The books I am following tends to work in CGS units, and not SI.

The test charge, which is an electron in this case, would be moving in the +x direction, and would experience the F i mentioned, in the -y direction, with the B i also mentioned, in the +z direction. This is straight from the textbook "Electricity and Magnetism" by Edward M Purcell.

Im not 100% certain on which current they are asking for, though i am just about 99% certain its the current produced by the lone electron going in circles, since a charge needs to be moving to create a current.

1. What is the equation for the force on an electron in circular motion in a magnetic field?

The equation for the force on an electron in circular motion in a magnetic field is F = qvB, where q is the charge of the electron, v is its velocity, and B is the strength of the magnetic field.

2. How do you determine the direction of the force on an electron in circular motion in a magnetic field?

The direction of the force on an electron in circular motion in a magnetic field can be determined using the right-hand rule. Point your fingers in the direction of the velocity of the electron, then curl them towards the direction of the magnetic field. Your thumb will point in the direction of the force.

3. Is the speed of the electron constant in circular motion in a magnetic field?

Yes, the speed of the electron remains constant in circular motion in a magnetic field. However, the direction of the velocity changes, resulting in a circular path.

4. How does the radius of the circular motion change with an increase in the strength of the magnetic field?

The radius of the circular motion decreases with an increase in the strength of the magnetic field. This is because the force on the electron increases, resulting in a tighter and smaller circular path.

5. Can an electron in circular motion in a magnetic field change its direction of motion?

Yes, the direction of motion of an electron in circular motion in a magnetic field can be changed by changing the direction of the magnetic field or by adjusting the velocity of the electron. This can result in a larger or smaller radius of the circular path.