Electron in magnetic field and center of circumference

In summary, the electron moves in a circle around the center of the magnetic field. To find the center of the circle, you use the equation of Lorentz force and the euclidean distance between the electron's current position and the center of the circle.
bznm

Homework Statement

We have an electron in 3D space in which there is also a magnetic uniform field B=Bz.
At t=0, we have z=0 and $v_z=0$.
We have to find the center of the circumference traveled by the electron using only x, y, v_x and v_y (coordinates and velocity of the electron at the general istant t) .

Homework Equations

$$L_F= qv×B$$ : this is the equation of Lorentz force.

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing that I have done was finding the radius: $R=\frac{mv}{qB}$
Then, I have thought that I could obtain the center considering:

$$R_x= \frac{m \dot x}{qB} \rightarrow x-x_c=\frac{m \dot x}{qB} $$

$$R_y= \frac{m \dot y}{qB} \rightarrow y-y_c=\frac{m \dot y}{qB} $$

.. but probably this way is wrong.

And so I have thought to use Lorentz equation

$$F_{L,x}=q v_y B$$ $$ F_{L,y}=-q v_x B$$ $$F_{L,z}=0$$
but I don't know how I can obtain the center using this equation... what can I do?

Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
If the electron moves in some direction at t=0, where is the center of the circle? In the direction of motion, behind it, left*, right*, something in between?
*as seen from "above" (positive z), for example

How can you find a point in that direction with a distance of R?

mfb said:
If the electron moves in some direction at t=0, where is the center of the circle? In the direction of motion, behind it, left*, right*, something in between?
*as seen from "above" (positive z), for example

How can you find a point in that direction with a distance of R?

on the left? (negative charge move in anticlockwise..)

I have thought to use the euclidean distance between points, but I obtain only one relation and I don't obtain the coordinates of the center using the velocities.. can you help me? thanks a lot!

Hmm, let's view that from below, along the magnetic field. Ok, to the left, so at a 90°-angle to the direction of motion. Do you know how you can find an orthogonal line in 2 dimensions? The velocity components will help. And the euclidian distance will be used, too.

mfb said:
Hmm, let's view that from below, along the magnetic field. Ok, to the left, so at a 90°-angle to the direction of motion. Do you know how you can find an orthogonal line in 2 dimensions? The velocity components will help. And the euclidian distance will be used, too.

I'm not sure to have correctly understood your answer.

If I consider the line that have the direction of motion, I obtain
$$y-y_T=y'(x-x_T)$$

and the radius belongs to the line

$$y-y_T=-1/y'(x-x_T)$$

(y' is v_y, isn't it?)

and the euclidean distance between the position of the electron at generical istant t (x_T,y_T) and the center of the circumference (x_c,y_c) is

$$sqrt ((x_T-x_c)^2+(y_t-y_c)^2))=R$$

now I don't know what I have to do...

What is yT?

For simplicity, let's use x=y=0. You can add them afterwards.

If the velocity vector is (x',y'), can you find an orthogonal vector?

mfb said:
What is yT?

For simplicity, let's use x=y=0. You can add them afterwards.

If the velocity vector is (x',y'), can you find an orthogonal vector?

If the vector a=(a1,a2) si orthogonal to (x',y') then
a1*x'+a2*y'=0..

You can use this to generate some orthogonal vector. In 2 dimensions, there is a very nice way to chose a1 and a2.

1. What is an electron in a magnetic field?

An electron in a magnetic field refers to the behavior of an electron when it is subjected to a magnetic field. The electron will experience a force due to its charge and velocity when placed in a magnetic field.

2. How does a magnetic field affect the trajectory of an electron?

A magnetic field causes the electron to move in a circular path around the center of the magnetic field, known as the center of circumference. This is because the force acting on the electron is perpendicular to both its velocity and the magnetic field.

3. What is the significance of the center of circumference for an electron in a magnetic field?

The center of circumference is the point around which the electron moves in a circular path. It is an important concept in understanding the behavior of an electron in a magnetic field as it helps determine the radius and speed of the electron's motion.

4. How do the strength and direction of the magnetic field affect the motion of an electron?

The strength of the magnetic field determines the force acting on the electron, while the direction of the magnetic field determines the direction of the force. A stronger magnetic field results in a smaller radius of motion for the electron, while a change in the direction of the magnetic field can cause the electron to change its direction of motion.

5. How is the motion of an electron in a magnetic field related to its charge and velocity?

The motion of an electron in a magnetic field is directly related to its charge and velocity. The force acting on the electron is proportional to its charge and the cross product of its velocity and the magnetic field. This means that a greater charge or velocity will result in a greater force and a larger radius of motion for the electron.