1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron-positron creation from colliding photons

1. Sep 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider two photons, one with energy ε1 = 2MeV traveling to the right, and the other with energy ε2 = 3MeV moving tot he left. The two photons collide head-on and produce a positron-electron pair. Suppose the the electron and positron move along the same axis as the photons.

What are the final energies (Ee- and Ee+) and velocities (ve- and ve+) of the positron and the electron?

(Hint: it is easier to do this problem by first switching to a frame of reference where the two photons have the same energy (and thus same momentum); in this frame, after the collision the center of mass is at rest.)

2. Relevant equations
    ε1 = 2 MeV
    ε2 = 3 MeV
    me = 0.511 MeV/c2
    p = ϒmv
    E = ϒmc2 = mc2 + EK = mc2 + mc2(ϒ-1)
    E = √[(pc)2 + (mc2)2]
    ϒ = 1/√1-(v2/c2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I set up four frames of reference (FORs):
    E: lab frame, before collision
    E' : lab frame, after collision
    Ecp: Center-of -mass frame before collision
    E'cp: Center-of -mass frame after collision

E = c(p1 + p2) = 5MeV
    E'cp = 2mec2
    E' = 2mec2 + EK

I know that the norms of the energies will be equal from one FOR to another, so:
    E2 = (E'cp)2
    (E'cp)2 = 25 MeV2

And this is where I'm stuck. We've covered four-vectors, and I think I might be getting confused on whether or not I use them here, and if so, how to set up the components for the photons.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Your notation is confusing. If E are energies, they cannot be frames. Also, squaring the energy does not give anything invariant. You'll need the 4-vectors of the particles involved.

4. Sep 9, 2015 #3
    That's where I'm getting confused. Would the 4-vector for the lab frame before the collision be P = (0,c(p1 + p2),0,0)? I used 0 in the A0 spot because the photons don't have any rest-mass. And for the center-of-mass frame after the collision be P'cp = (2mec2,0,0,0)? When I use these, P2 = 25 MeV2.

Is there a way to do this without using 4-vectors?

5. Sep 9, 2015 #4
    Hmm, I just found this on another thread:
    "Since m=0, combining those two gives the four-momentum of a photon as:
    (|p|,p)
    or equivalently for a photon traveling in the x direction:
    (E/c,E/c,0,0)"

So, if that's the case, the 4-vector for the lab-frame before the collision would be
    P = (c(p1 + p2),c(p1 + p2),0,0), correct? Or do the momentums need to be subtracted since they're going in opposite directions?​

6. Sep 10, 2015 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

No, and guessing does not help.
    They have to be added, but one photon needs a negative momentum as it is going in the opposite direction (-x direction).
    There is, but that needs significantly more work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted