Relativistic Collision - Momentum and Energy

In summary, Two chunks of rock, each having a mass of 1.00 kg, collide in space. Just before the collision, an observer at rest in the reference frame of a nearby star determines that rock A is moving toward the star at 0.800 c and rock B is moving away from the star at 0.750 c . If the rocks stick together after the collision, they have a velocity (in the reference frame of the star) of 0.776c.
Eve Torchic
Two chunks of rock, each having a mass of 1.00 kg, collide in space. Just before the collision, an observer at rest in the reference frame of a nearby star determines that rock A is moving toward the star at 0.800 c and rock B is moving away from the star at 0.750 c .

If the rocks stick together after the collision, what is their velocity (in the reference frame of the star) immediately after the collision? Consider the direction away from the star to be the positive direction.

Attempt at solution:

p for momentum
v for velocity
m for mass

Momentum:
PAB = PA+PB
ϒABmABvAB = ϒAmAvA + ϒBmBvB

Energy:
ETotal = EA + EB
ϒABmABc^2 = ϒAmAc^2 + ϒBmBc^2

divide c^2
ϒABmAB = ϒAmA + ϒBmB

When dividing momentum by energy, the mass and Lorentz factors cancel to leave the velocity of AB
vAB = (ϒAmAvA + ϒBmBvB) / (ϒAmA + ϒBmB)

substituting the numbers and
mA = 1 kg
mB = 1 kg
vA = 0.800c
vB = 0.750c

I got
vAB = 0.776c

but the answer seems to be wrong. I have no idea where to start in answering this question.

Edit: I tried changing the gamma symbols to make them the same, hope it worked.

Physics news on Phys.org
The masses are moving in opposite directions.

Orodruin said:
The masses are moving in opposite directions.
oh, but is the method correct?

edit: if velocity A is negative the answer would be -0.0627c and its still the wrong answer so there seems to be a problem with my method

Last edited:
Your method looks fine. I got the same answer you did.

vela said:
Your method looks fine. I got the same answer you did.
The homework site I'm using says I got the answer wrong.

If you got the answer "wrong", it might be that it's the positive value 0.0627c by letting ##v_1=0.8## and ##v_2=-0.75##.

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/.../(m1*cosh(arctanh(v1))+m2*cosh(arctanh(v2)));

Since the input masses are equal, they drop out of the ratio to find the velocity of the output particle.
Geometrically, it turns out that the output particle is along the Minkowski-angle bisector:
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=m1:=1;m2:=1;v1:=.8;v2:=-.75;tanh(+(arctanh(v1)+arctanh(v2))/2)

robphy said:
If you got the answer "wrong", it might be that it's the positive value 0.0627c by letting ##v_1=0.8## and ##v_2=-0.75##.

I tried 0.0627 and it still says I have the answer wrong. I only have 2 attempts left. Could it be a rounding problem?

Eve Torchic said:
I tried 0.0627 and it still says I have the answer wrong. I only have 2 attempts left. Could it be a rounding problem?

I put your figures into a spreadsheet and found that the answer is sensitive to small changes in the initial velocities. Technically, ##0.800c## could be anywhere in the range ##0.7995c - 0.8005c## and likewise ##0.750c## is in the range ##0.7495c - 0.7505c##.

If you do the calculations for the two extremes. First, using ##0.8005c## and ##0.7495c## gives an answer of ##0.064c##. And, using ##0.7995c## and ##0.7505c## gives an answer of ##0.061c##.

Technically, therefore, the answer is in the range ##0.061c - 0.064c##, hence ##0.06c## is the best you can say.

That said, it's entirely possible that the expected answer is ##0.063c##.

Related to Relativistic Collision - Momentum and Energy

1. What is the definition of a relativistic collision?

A relativistic collision is a type of collision that occurs at high speeds, close to the speed of light. It is a phenomenon described by the theory of relativity, which takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

2. How does the momentum of a particle change in a relativistic collision?

In a relativistic collision, the momentum of a particle changes according to the equation p = mv/sqrt(1-(v^2/c^2)), where p is the momentum, m is the mass, v is the velocity, and c is the speed of light. This means that as the speed of the particle approaches the speed of light, its momentum increases significantly.

3. What is the conservation of energy in a relativistic collision?

The conservation of energy in a relativistic collision refers to the principle that the total energy of a system before and after the collision remains constant. This means that the sum of the kinetic energy and rest energy of the particles involved in the collision remains the same.

4. How does a relativistic collision differ from a classical collision?

A relativistic collision differs from a classical collision in that it takes into account the effects of relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction. In a classical collision, these effects are negligible, but at high speeds, they become significant and must be accounted for in calculations.

5. Can the kinetic energy in a relativistic collision exceed the rest energy of a particle?

Yes, in a relativistic collision, the kinetic energy of a particle can exceed its rest energy. This is due to the fact that at high speeds, the mass of the particle increases, and therefore, its rest energy also increases. As a result, the kinetic energy can exceed the rest energy, but the total energy of the particle will remain constant.