Electron released into electric field

In summary, the conversation discusses the release of an electron in a uniform electric field and its subsequent acceleration and distance traveled in a given time frame. There is also mention of using kinematics to determine the acceleration and force acting on the electron. The conversation concludes with a successful solution being reached.
that1grrl
An electron is released from rest in a uniform electric field. The electron accelerates vertically upward, traveling 4.50m in the first 3.00us after released. What are the mag and direction of electric field and are we justified in ignoring the effect of gravity (justify quantitatively).

Im not sure where to start. Do I look for finding acceleration to use a=-eE/m to get the E? I just need a start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. From kinematics, what's its average speed? what's its final speed?
What's its acceleration? What Force must act to provide that acceleration?

Ok so I may be grasping at straws but would I do this:
(using constant-acceleration formula)

v=4.5m/3X10^-6
v= 1.33x10^6m/s= (2a(4.50m))^1/2
a=1.98x10^11m/s^2

a=F/m
1.98x10^11m/s= F/9.11x10^-31kg

etc? Even close. Eventually my units don't work out so I am thinking this isn't the right track.

save the Kinetic Energy trweatment for next chapter...

v_average = 1.5E6 m/s , so v_final = 3E6 m/s , right?

(v_final)^2 = 2 a x ...

but a = v_final / t !

Last edited:
I think I got it. THANKS!

1. What is an electron released into an electric field?

When an electron is released into an electric field, it means that the electron is moving in an area where there is a difference in electrical potential. This difference in electrical potential creates a force on the electron, causing it to move in a specific direction.

2. How does an electron behave in an electric field?

Electrons released into an electric field will follow the direction of the electric force, which is always perpendicular to the electric field lines. The magnitude of the force on the electron is determined by the strength of the electric field and the charge of the electron.

3. What is the relationship between an electron's velocity and the electric field?

The velocity of an electron released into an electric field is directly proportional to the strength of the electric field. This means that as the electric field increases, the electron's velocity will also increase.

4. How does the electric field affect the motion of an electron?

The electric field affects the motion of an electron by exerting a force on the electron, causing it to accelerate in a specific direction. The direction of the force is determined by the direction of the electric field lines.

5. What is the significance of an electron being released into an electric field?

Electrons being released into an electric field have important implications in many fields, including electronics and particle physics. This phenomenon allows for the manipulation and control of electron motion, which is essential for many technological advancements.