Electron repulsion work problem.

In summary, the problem involves finding the work done in moving a third electron from the origin to (3,0) when two electrons are held at fixed points (5,0) and (-5,0). The equations used are the force of repulsion between two electrons and the work equation. The distance between the electrons is represented by "D". After attempting a solution, it is discovered that the answer in the book is correct and the error was in the integration of forces.
B3NR4Y
Gold Member
The problem: If two electrons are held at fixed points (5,0) and (-5,0), respectively, find the work done in moving a third electron from the origin to (3,0)

All equations:
Force of repulsion between two electrons:
\begin{equation}
\frac{1}{d^{2}}.
\end{equation}
\begin{equation}
W = \int_{a}^{b} \, f(x) dx
\end{equation}
"D" is the distance between the electrons

Attempt at a solution:
The distance between the electron at (-5,0) and the third electron is, 5+x where x is the position of the electron at any point on its journey to (3,0). The distance between the electron at (5,0) and the third electron is (5-x). I found the work by adding the two work equations like this:
\begin{equation}
\begin{split}
W&= \int_{0}^{3} \frac{1}{(5+x)^{2}} dx + \int_{0}^{3} \frac{1}{(5-x)^{2}} dx \\
& = -[-\frac{1}{5-x} |^{3}_{0}] + [-\frac{1}{5+x} |^{3}_{0}\\
&=\frac{3k}{8} ergs
\end{split}
\end{equation}
Book says the answer is
\begin{equation}
\frac{9k}{40}\, ergs
\end{equation}

Physics news on Phys.org
B3NR4Y said:
The problem: If two electrons are held at fixed points (5,0) and (-5,0), respectively, find the work done in moving a third electron from the origin to (3,0)

All equations:
Force of repulsion between two electrons:
\begin{equation}
\frac{1}{d^{2}}.
\end{equation}
\begin{equation}
W = \int_{a}^{b} \, f(x) dx
\end{equation}
"D" is the distance between the electrons

Attempt at a solution:
The distance between the electron at (-5,0) and the third electron is, 5+x where x is the position of the electron at any point on its journey to (3,0). The distance between the electron at (5,0) and the third electron is (5-x). I found the work by adding the two work equations like this:
\begin{equation}
\begin{split}
W&= \int_{0}^{3} \frac{1}{(5+x)^{2}} dx + \int_{0}^{3} \frac{1}{(5-x)^{2}} dx \\
& = -[-\frac{1}{5-x} |^{3}_{0}] + [-\frac{1}{5+x} |^{3}_{0}\\
&=\frac{3k}{8} ergs
\end{split}
\end{equation}
Book says the answer is
\begin{equation}
\frac{9k}{40}\, ergs
\end{equation}

I agree with your answer.

Dick said:
I agree with your answer.

So probably just an error in the book?

Good :3

B3NR4Y said:

Yeah, I think so.

B3NR4Y said:

Hope it's not to late to change my mind. There is a problem. The forces you are integrating don't point in the same direction. You need a minus sign on one of your forces. The book answer is correct. Sorry about that!

Dick said:
Hope it's not to late to change my mind. There is a problem. The forces you are integrating don't point in the same direction. You need a minus sign on one of your forces. The book answer is correct. Sorry about that!

No worries! Thank you. Makes sense, the answer is correct now. I feel honored you answered me.

B3NR4Y said:
No worries! Thank you. Makes sense, the answer is correct now. I feel honored you answered me.

Glad you feel honored by a not very accurate response :). Hope that won't deter you from posting again.

Dick said:
Glad you feel honored by a not very accurate response :). Hope that won't deter you from posting again.

It most definitely will not. I'm 15 and self-teaching, so I will post here often. Thank you again.

1. What is electron repulsion work problem?

The electron repulsion work problem is a concept in chemistry that refers to the energy required to move electrons from one atom to another. This energy is caused by the repulsive forces between the negatively charged electrons.

2. Why is electron repulsion work important?

Electron repulsion work is important because it is a key factor in determining the stability and reactivity of molecules. It also plays a crucial role in chemical bonding and the formation of chemical compounds.

3. How is electron repulsion work calculated?

Electron repulsion work is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of their magnitudes and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

4. What factors affect electron repulsion work?

The factors that affect electron repulsion work include the number of electrons involved, the distance between the electrons, and the charge of the atoms involved. Other factors such as molecular geometry and the presence of other atoms can also influence electron repulsion work.

5. How does electron repulsion work relate to molecular shape?

Electron repulsion work is closely related to molecular shape because the repulsion between electrons plays a significant role in determining the three-dimensional arrangement of atoms in a molecule. This is known as the VSEPR theory (Valence Shell Electron Pair Repulsion theory).