1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron scattering: nuclear radius to nucleon number relationship

1. Sep 15, 2013 #1
    Hi! I am extremely confused on what seems to be quite a simple question. The question contains a graph of root mean square radius <r[itex]^{2}[/itex]> plotted against A[itex]^{1/3}[/itex] where A is the nucleon number. In the lecture notes he specifies that <r[itex]^{2}[/itex]> is not the same as R but does not really say specifically what the difference is. It is given that the gradient of the line in this graph is 0.96. I am meant to find the value of R[itex]_{0}[/itex] in the relationship R=R[itex]_{0}[/itex]A[itex]^{1/3}[/itex] but I'm not certain how to find it because I dont know what the relationship between the rms r and R is.

Any help would be amazing.

I have worked through trying to use the charge radius but without success, he never mentioned the charge radius in the lecture so I'm not sure what to do. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charge_radius

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If you have a uniform sphere of radius R, what is the (squared) rms radius <r2> of its volume? Hint: You'll need an integral (or a formula).

4. Sep 15, 2013 #3
    Thanks so much I think I'm on the right track now. So for a uniform sphere you use some spherical coordinate integrals to find that the rms radius is related to the radius by [itex]\frac{3}{5}[/itex]R[itex]^{2}[/itex]. Is this the correct formula to get?

Also am I right in saying that I am effectively finding the expectation value of r[itex]^{2}[/itex]?

5. Sep 15, 2013 #4
    Finally got the answer! Thanks again man couldn't have done it without you!

6. Sep 15, 2013 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yup.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted