1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electronics and Comn engg vs Electronics and electrical engg?

1. Jun 13, 2013 #1
    My major interest is in electronics. I have my college admission counselling in two days, and I'm stuck with this dilemma of which branch to choose. I also have Computer Science engineering as an option. These vacations I took up C++ and it's going well.

Question 1
    Can I do my masters in electronics if I take Computer Science engineering?

Question 2:
    What do I opt for? Electronics and communication engineering or Electronics and Electrical engineering? I also have Electronics and instrumentation engineering as an option.
    (A solid reason to why the course you suggest would help a lot.)

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2013 #2
    Answer 1:
    Yes, as long as you have the prerequisites for electronics and your application clearly indicates why you want to study electronics.

Answer 2:
    This is like an ANOVA: the between group variance exceeds the within group variance. All three courses sound very similar. You can get to any electronics grad program with any of them. It's hard to guess what makes them different, but if I had to guess I would think the Communications Engineering option would have a little more math, the Instrumentation Engineering would have a little more lab focus, and the Electrical Engineering option would be more balanced.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook