Future of the solid state electronics industry

In summary: I want to hear from someone more experienced about the future of the field before I make a final decision.In summary, David is worrying about the future of the semiconductor and solid state electronics industry, but he is still considering going to graduate school for electrical engineering and work on solid state electronics. He is confident that there will be careers in microelectronics for him.
davidbenari
I'm finishing my degree in Engineering Physics (really just physics). Without a doubt my favorite area of physics is solid state physics. While I love computational and theoretical work, I don't think making a career out of it is as easy as it is in the experimental or engineering side of it. So I'm thinking of going to graduate school for electrical engineering and work on solid state electronics.

But I'm very worried that this industry might not have that much of a future. It's not new science, and people are arguing that we are reaching a fundamental limit on the sizing of transistors, etc. I don't want to argue more about this because I want to hear from you.

Does the semiconductor and solid state electronics industry have a lot of future? Why?

If not, what areas of electrical engineering (that are like solid state physics) would you recommend looking into?

Also, how easy is it to get a job in R&D? I don't want to be in academia if choose this path...

Thanks,

David.

Physics news on Phys.org
davidbenari said:
I'm finishing my degree in Engineering Physics (really just physics). Without a doubt my favorite area of physics is solid state physics. While I love computational and theoretical work, I don't think making a career out of it is as easy as it is in the experimental or engineering side of it. So I'm thinking of going to graduate school for electrical engineering and work on solid state electronics.

But I'm very worried that this industry might not have that much of a future. It's not new science, and people are arguing that we are reaching a fundamental limit on the sizing of transistors, etc. I don't want to argue more about this because I want to hear from you.

Does the semiconductor and solid state electronics industry have a lot of future? Why?

If not, what areas of electrical engineering (that are like solid state physics) would you recommend looking into?

Also, how easy is it to get a job in R&D? I don't want to be in academia if choose this path...

Thanks,

David.

This is why you have a mentor/supervisor/advisor, and this person is someone who will be guiding your education more closely than when you were an undergraduate. He/she is not only supposed to know the material, but also is aware of the state of knowledge of the field, and knows what is being funded, what direction is the field heading into, etc... etc. If you go to a good school and got a good advisor, he/she will know all this and will also know what gets his/her graduates to be hired. In fact, before you select a particular area in EE and a particular advisor, talk to other more senior grad students and see if they know of such-and-such professor has produced students that got employment upon graduation. You'll be surprised how much and how far news can travel and spread.

But also relevant here is that, when you start your research work, YOU have to do a lot of background reading and catching up yourself. You will have weekly colloquium that introduce to you various topics in your general area, you will have to start paying attention to the news coming out of your field of study, and you will have to pay closer attention to important journals. ALL of these will paint a picture of what areas are "hot", what are getting funding, and what kind of advancements might be in store. A good program will not only be aware of such trend, but it might also be setting it by their technological-front research. Many of the modern electronics that we take for granted now came out of such university research efforts.

What I'm trying to tell you here is that, with the area that you intend to go into, you're worrying yourself way too much.

Zz.

Likes davidbenari
To OP: Usual important question in this context. What country (or countries) are you considering for grad school and employment?

The micro-electronics industry is a multi-hundred billion dollar industry. It is part of almost everything we do. Eventually, of course, we will reach a limit when transistors can no longer be scaled to smaller sizes. But even when this occurs, we will still continue to develop and manufacture microelectronic devices. It's not as though the field will disappear when that happens, it will just be changed. We don't scale down the sizes of cars every generation, but cars are still a huge industry. So I think you can be confident that there will be careers in microelectronics for you. Go ahead and get the training in the field and you should be able to find meaningful employment.

Likes davidbenari
CrysPhys said:
To OP: Usual important question in this context. What country (or countries) are you considering for grad school and employment?

The US. I'm open to other places, but I am a US citizen and plan to go to grad school in the US.

phyzguy said:
Eventually, of course, we will reach a limit when transistors can no longer be scaled to smaller sizes. But even when this occurs, we will still continue to develop and manufacture microelectronic devices.

This is coming from a user, not a developer of the technology, but I think ASICs would be a good example of how chip design can and will continue even without improvements in the size of the transistors.

Actually there is stuff beyond conventional semiconductor engineering. At my university they do research on mesoscopic transport which gives rise to spintronic or devices like 1-electron-transistors which might conquer the limits of Moore's law.

On top of that, as being said, conventional solid state electronics is still a giant market and will continue to be so for the next decades.

What is the current state of the solid state electronics industry?

The solid state electronics industry is currently experiencing rapid growth and innovation. With the rise of technological advancements such as artificial intelligence, 5G technology, and the Internet of Things, the demand for solid state electronics is expected to continue to increase in the coming years.

What are some potential challenges that the solid state electronics industry may face in the future?

One potential challenge for the solid state electronics industry is the limited availability of rare earth elements, which are essential for many electronic devices. Additionally, there may be concerns about sustainability and the environmental impact of producing and disposing of electronic devices.

What new developments can we expect to see in the solid state electronics industry?

The future of the solid state electronics industry is likely to include advancements in areas such as quantum computing, flexible electronics, and nanotechnology. These developments have the potential to greatly improve the performance and capabilities of electronic devices.

How will the solid state electronics industry impact other industries?

The solid state electronics industry has a significant impact on virtually all other industries, as electronic devices are used in a wide range of applications. The continued development of solid state electronics is expected to drive further innovation and progress in fields such as healthcare, transportation, and communication.

What role will artificial intelligence play in the future of the solid state electronics industry?

Artificial intelligence is expected to have a major influence on the future of the solid state electronics industry. With the ability to process and analyze large amounts of data, AI technology will enhance the capabilities of electronic devices and enable them to perform more complex tasks and functions.