1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electronics books which assume math?

1. Apr 14, 2013 #1
    Can anyone recommend a book that introduces electronics from a somewhat practical perspective but still doesn't shy away from the underlying math and physics? I know Maxwell's equations and the associated mathematics etc so I would prefer a book that introduces both the theory in its full mathematical glory behind how basic electronics work and also gives some project type problems that give practical experience. I would really like to see all the physics in a practical setting and what better place to learn that then electronics. My interests are mostly theoretical but I want to do this in my spare time over the summer as I believe it'll help my understanding of E&M.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2013 #2

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"The art of electronics" is the standard book for physicists to learn electronics from, but I am not sure it fits with what you are looking for. In any case, it is the right kind of book to get started in electronics.

My hunch is that art of electronics is what you are looking for, but I guess I am not sure what exactly you are looking for. On the one hand, "all the physics," could include the quantum mechanics and solid state physics required to understand semiconductors, solving boundary value problems to estimate the frequency dependent resistance/inductance of wires (fun with Bessel functions!), etc. On the other hand, "project type problems that give practical experience," sounds like projects to do things like build a simple transistor audio amplifier you could use to connect your mp3 player to a loudspeaker, etc. I know of no book that includes all of that. Perhaps if Art of Electronics doesn't fit the bill you could provide a little more detail on what you are looking for?

By the way, in my opinion it will not really help in your understanding of E&M - at least when I took circuits/electronics classes (and I took a handful of them) they primarily just taught me about circuits.

EDIT: this is not to say that learning electronics is not interesting or useful. Circuit analogies do come up when modeling electromagnetic phenomena, so it can help with later understanding of EM. I thiink that circuits are fun, too. There is nothing like building a simple audio amplifier that you can use!

enjoy

jason

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted