Electronics books which assume math?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a book that introduces electronics from a practical perspective while also incorporating the math and physics behind it. The book "The Art of Electronics" is mentioned as a standard book for physicists to learn electronics, but it may not fully meet the requirements. The conversation also touches on the potential usefulness of learning electronics for understanding electromagnetism.
ahsanxr
Can anyone recommend a book that introduces electronics from a somewhat practical perspective but still doesn't shy away from the underlying math and physics? I know Maxwell's equations and the associated mathematics etc so I would prefer a book that introduces both the theory in its full mathematical glory behind how basic electronics work and also gives some project type problems that give practical experience. I would really like to see all the physics in a practical setting and what better place to learn that then electronics. My interests are mostly theoretical but I want to do this in my spare time over the summer as I believe it'll help my understanding of E&M.

Physics news on Phys.org
"The art of electronics" is the standard book for physicists to learn electronics from, but I am not sure it fits with what you are looking for. In any case, it is the right kind of book to get started in electronics.

My hunch is that art of electronics is what you are looking for, but I guess I am not sure what exactly you are looking for. On the one hand, "all the physics," could include the quantum mechanics and solid state physics required to understand semiconductors, solving boundary value problems to estimate the frequency dependent resistance/inductance of wires (fun with Bessel functions!), etc. On the other hand, "project type problems that give practical experience," sounds like projects to do things like build a simple transistor audio amplifier you could use to connect your mp3 player to a loudspeaker, etc. I know of no book that includes all of that. Perhaps if Art of Electronics doesn't fit the bill you could provide a little more detail on what you are looking for?

By the way, in my opinion it will not really help in your understanding of E&M - at least when I took circuits/electronics classes (and I took a handful of them) they primarily just taught me about circuits.

EDIT: this is not to say that learning electronics is not interesting or useful. Circuit analogies do come up when modeling electromagnetic phenomena, so it can help with later understanding of EM. I thiink that circuits are fun, too. There is nothing like building a simple audio amplifier that you can use!

enjoy

jason

Last edited:

1. What level of math is required for understanding electronics books?

Most electronics books assume at least a basic understanding of math concepts such as algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. Some books may also require knowledge of calculus for more advanced topics.

2. Can I still learn about electronics if I am not strong in math?

While having a strong foundation in math can be helpful in understanding electronics, it is not a requirement. There are many resources available, such as online tutorials and videos, that can help you learn electronics without heavy math requirements.

3. Are there any electronics books that do not require any math?

It is rare to find an electronics book that does not require any math at all. However, there are some beginner-level books that use minimal math and focus more on practical applications and hands-on learning.

4. What math concepts are most important for understanding electronics?

Some of the most important math concepts for understanding electronics include Ohm's law, Kirchhoff's laws, and complex numbers. These concepts are essential for analyzing circuits and understanding how different components interact.

5. Are there any resources for learning the math concepts needed for understanding electronics?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning the math concepts needed for understanding electronics. Online courses, textbooks, and even YouTube videos can be helpful in learning and practicing these concepts. It is also beneficial to practice applying the concepts to real-life examples to solidify understanding.